Tascam 488

Granada

For some damn reason I have a itch to obtain one of these machines.

I have a full digital setup, and I am very happy with the results I get. The only thing is it is kind of a pain in the ass to start up and start tracking. I want something easy and portable and analog. The main thing is portability. I have some good friends 200 miles away that wants to record some dirty punk kinda stuff.

I am not going for that "Warm analog feel" in this venture. I want it for idea's and to mess around with tape and to try some fun live mixdown techniques.

Anyone had any experience with these machines?

Anyone have one collecting dust they want to sell to a good home? trades?

What do you know about these dinosaurs?

I used to own a 488 MKI, it's a great machine.

If you can be patient enough and don't mind spending a bit more money, you might want to try and find a 688.

The main difference between the two machines is that the 488 can only record up to 4 tracks at a time, while the 688 can record on all 8 and has a better frequency response. I own a 238, which uses the same head design (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), but doesn't have the built-in mixer.

I've never used a 688, but the only negative thing that I'm aware of is that it's a bit more complicated to use than a 488, but so long as you have the manual or don't mind downloading one from the internet you'll be fine.

-MD

The 238, 488 and 688 all use the same head block, but there are other differences obvious and not so obvious between them.

Themaddog, good luck finding a 688 manual on the internet tho'...do you know of a link?

Back in college I was in a reggae band for several years. We did an entire album on a 488 mkII. It actually came out sounding very good, and we had limited or no outboard gear going in. We mastered to DAT and *I think* ran it through a BBE 462 and some modest stereo compressor on the way to the DAT.

the 488 and 688 are bulky (the 688 moreso) but not terribly so. If you're wanting tactile control of everything for having fun and learning and making some decent recordings while you're at it, I'd recommend the 488 over the 688. The 688 has built in MIDI sync functions and digital routing, whereas the 488 has tactile routing controls and the ability to sync to MIDI with an external generator. The mixer on the 688 is more comprehensive, but the 488 holds its own well for what it is.

The 238 has the best audio quality of the bunch (mostly because *you* get to choose your mixing console...the mixers on the 488 and 688 are not bad at all, but I know there are times I've felt limited with the preamp quality when messing around with my 424 mkII, but that's in comparison to the Presonus and Yamaha pre's out in the studio). The 238 is not as "portable" though as it requires an external mixer.

You'll pay $100-150 for a decent used 488...get the mk II. This is a *bargain* for this bit of kit. You'll pay around $50-100 more than the 488 for a 238 (plus you'll need the mixer) and $100-150 more than the 488 for the 688. If you do go looking for a 688, make sure it has the manual with it or expect to pay another $30-40 to order one from Tascam.

Any other questions?

themaddog...you've got some mad skills at finding stuff. I stand *totally* corrected...if I'd known about this all the times I've read posts of people aching for a manual for their 688...thank you.

Do you still have any of your Reggae bands work you did on the Mk II?
I do...Its all on cassette though...the release. I tried to get the master DAT tape and the cassette masters from our former band leader a couple years ago. He wasn't sure where they are and now he's somewhere in Jamaica.

That link only recently came to light from a previous post on this forum, so don't mention it!. I would, however, highly suggest downloading the manual and keeping it somewhere on your hard disk or a CD-R. You never know when you'll come across a cheap 688 on Craig's List or something, only to find a broken link later.

-MD

already downloaded to HDD and USB drive...:p

I've got a copy of the 644 manual as well...don't own one but...

I would wait for a 688 too. I find four tracks very limiting, especially if you want to record a live band.

I have all of the above units.

What I think, especially if you want to record a live setup right the first time, is definitely get the nicest & cleanest 688 you can find, with manual. The difference in live-to-tape capability will hands down win you favor as the go-to live recording person, if you have that rig. The 688. Then, the sound quality is quite astonishing, considering the format. Dude, what you need for live band recording is lots of input channels and 8-simul recording capability, period.

Not that the 488 and mkII are bad units, but they're 12x4 channels submix to groups, & records 4-simul/max. For any decent live ensemble, that's way too limiting. The 488 and 488mkII are better suited for the talented soloist or duet group,.... not the punk power trio or above.

Though you need the manual to navigate the scenes and settings of the 688, once you've wired a few concepts and screens it becomes easier and quicker to change massive patching in a few key strokes. Dude, it's the bomb.

I can't stress enough the 20x8 & 8-simul capability as being not only excellent leading points about the 688, but also that you need just that for this "casual" live work you're projecting for yourself.

Anyway, hold out for a clean 688, for well over 60 lbs of fun!

For any more questions about the 688, pls ask "casa cassette" member bobby darko.

Regards,
Dave:eek:;)

We have a near mint 688 here that's hardly been used.......trouble is I'm across The Pacific :eek:.

:cool:

I have a 488MKII, and it is an excellent unit. I would hardly compare the cassette- even at it's best- to a 'warm analog sound' especially compared to a 1-2" open reel, but it is well worth it if you want to use an analog unit. If I recall, The Boss recorded all of the basics for Nebraska on a 488...

I just found 2 688's for 500 bucks. One is in brand new in the box the other is in really good condition. It is going to be a 6 hour drive (12 round trip) but I am thinking its going to be worth it.

DO IT!!! :eek:

That's like the deal I got my 58 and 48 for, only it was only 6 hours round trip and $250...half the travel, half the price I guess, but $500 for 2 688's, one NIB and the VGC...THAT is a good deal. I agree with A Reel Person. I kinda lost sight of your need/desire for live recording. The 688 is, hands down, *THE* pinnacle of multitrack cassette portastudios by any manufacturer with the mixing section and 8-track simultaneous record.

Good find..good luck!

Let us know the final story when you get them home okay?

Well I talked to the guy, he his holding them for me for friday. Wahhooo. I am just exited to see how it sounds, and what kinda fun stuff I can do with it in conjunction with my digital set up. These peak meters are sexy too. This should be alot of fun.

WAHHOOO!

Just got back from VEGAS BABY! what a wild place. We went and picked them up, perfect shape, and had the bonus of spending a night in vegas. We checked into a hotel at 9 and got back to the hotel just in time to checkout. Time is almost irrelevant in Vegas. This Unit seems to be very involved and somewhat complicated, but I can't wait to learn.

Do I need a degauser? ( I am guessing so)

How often should I clean the heads?

Back