Tascam 48 Heads.

haggy38

Hi guys,

I want your opinion regarding this Tascam 48 heads, aside they're dirty what else do you see, still got some miles to run?

This machine is in Colombia and very cheap $100 but I don't want to invest $$$$$ in heads.

This is the package:

Tascam 48

Tascam DX4 x2

Remote

Thanks,
Gustavo

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.5 KB · Views: 54
This is always hard to determine from pics. The good is that there are no head gaps that are opening up. From looking at the guides and lifters there is significant wear... which would mean significant wear on the heads if they are original. There doesn't appear to be any keystoning so the tape path has been straight...

The only way to really tell is to have the heads sent off for evaluation.

My .02 (which really is worth nothing) - I'd take a pass unless I was willing to deal with worn heads that likely need a relap (if possible) to perform anywhere near spec.

***Edit - for $100 you can't go wrong... just be prepared for the unit to not perform anywhere near spec. There could be significant high end roll off, which is only fixed with a re-lap - which is typically $300+ USD. So you could end up sinking a good amount of $$ into the unit if you want it to perform well.

Can you get him to show a closeup of all the meters to demonstrate all the tracks are working? Obviously the bulbs have gone on some of them, but I'd check all the movements are working too.
Also, can he hold the camera the right way round...?

Ask for a video showing the meters recording tones at 1khz, 10khz and 100hz. Then you need to see the meters playback from both repro and sync the same tones on the video to really tell what's going on with the machine.

Ask for a video showing the meters recording tones at 1khz, 10khz and 100hz. Then you need to see the meters playback from both repro and sync the same tones on the video to really tell what's going on with the machine.

The seller is asking $100 for the unit with the dbx modules and remote included. Would you go though all that to make the sale? I wouldn't.

Hahahaha, the deck is working and recording, the owner gives 6 months of warranty and includes 4 blank tapes, so I got to do it. I have experienced repairing rtr like mine RT 909, Teac 3340s, Sony to 200, I'm looking for a rolling rack.

I'm just an aficionado and probably just use 2 channels to recording 60, 70s Classic Rock, from cd and vinyl, under use this Machine.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Gustavo

Ps, there's another deck very cheap Tascam Br 20, is a good rtr??

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 31
For a hundred bucks, I'd say its a no brainer. Watching the video, it is apparent that the transport is pretty smooth.

Just be prepared to put money into it at some time in the future.

I think the 48 heads and lifters look significantly worn, but for $100 all included it can't be that bad. It either works, may need TLC, or you can part it out & recoup your $$ very easily. Shipping on the lot will kill you though, so be careful. Also, depending on how it's packed, could be vulnerable to serious damage.
:spank::eek:;)

I forgot to mention, the machine is in my country son just $25 for shipping to my city, I would like to keep it for now, I Get on eBay pinch roller and hubs.

Gustavo

Hey, I don't know anything about rtr's, but just wanted to say my wife is from Medellin. We get down there every two years and I love visiting.

We don't get too many people from Colombia logging in so very cool to have you here. Welcome to the site.

i have a 48-OB and the heads are roundish. i got mine from the original owner and he put about 5 hours total time on it. i paid $400.00 for mine a couple of years ago. the heads on the deck 48 you are asking about are pretty flat from lots of use. i personally would pass on a deck with that much wear. parts are impossible to come buy, i know , i live in los angeles and cant find spare parts here. most of the people that bought a simipro Tascam bought the 58 or ATR 60-8. 38's are real easy to come by out here but not 48's. heres a foto of my 48-OB. btw when i cleaned the tach roller and pinch roller they turned to goo and i had Terry rerubber them.

Attachments

• Tascam 48-OB mine.jpg
    Tascam 48-OB mine.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 13
Back