Tascam 428

g on the wc

Wanted to know if anyone runs their studio monitors through the 428 and if so do you still achieve a good sound. I just bought one and am waiting to recieve it. I was curious to know if you can control the sound well from this device. Thanks for the input!

G

Yup- its sounds good and offers all the normal controls- volume knobs and faders and such. Its a pretty neat little device, really.

Take care,
Chris

i agree with what they said.

and i will add that if you are using WinXP, then you HAVE TO HAVE service pack 1, or your usb is going to fart on playback.

crosstudio said:
i agree with what they said.

and i will add that if you are using WinXP, then you HAVE TO HAVE service pack 1, or your usb is going to fart on playback.

True dat.

Thanks for the info. I have one other question- Do you need to hook up your audio outputs of soundcard (SB audigy platinum) to the inputs on the 428 or does the sound travel directly through the usb and if so isn't it then bypassing my soundcard?? Thank you-

G

The sound goes through the USB and completely bypasses your computer's other soundcards. Think of the 428 as a high quality, external soundcard with preamps and a control surface.

Your computer's other sounds will still come through the regular soundcard, though. I think you can set them up to go through the 428 if you want.

Chris

I just got my 428, and like Chris said you can select which soundcard you use for output from different sources. It's basically just like having two sound cards. I am going to leave some little PC speakers hooked up to the soundblaster, so I can select that as output when I don't want to have to use my monitoring system. No need to hear Windows ring the bell through studio monitors!

Has any of you used the 428 with Cool Edit Pro 2? I really like the software and would like to buy the 428 as a front end to my DAW.

So will this 428 work with any processors besides Pentiums? I'm buying a desktop from a friend that has a Celeron processor. He also upgraded to the V-92 and the hard drive is upgraded from 20G to 60G.

I am seriously interested in this unit. I'm a computer dummy pretty much and this may be an easier way for me to go to PC recording. How is the Stienberg Cubasis software that comes with it? Is it any good or would you guys suggest using somethign different?

TU BE said:
So will this 428 work with any processors besides Pentiums? I'm buying a desktop from a friend that has a Celeron processor. He also upgraded to the V-92 and the hard drive is upgraded from 20G to 60G.

I am seriously interested in this unit. I'm a computer dummy pretty much and this may be an easier way for me to go to PC recording. How is the Stienberg Cubasis software that comes with it? Is it any good or would you guys suggest using somethign different?
The processor makes no difference, as long as you have a usb port.
Cubasis blows... It's a completely stripped down version... Just about any recording suite would be better. Cubase, CEP, Logic, whatever.

subtractor said:
The processor makes no difference, as long as you have a usb port.
Cubasis blows... It's a completely stripped down version... Just about any recording suite would be better. Cubase, CEP, Logic, whatever.

Thx subtractor. I am now actually looking into the 122 instead. I'm just a bedroom guitarist/recorder so I'm starting to think that the 428 may be overkill. I would never need to record more than two tracks at a time.

Also, for software, I was thinking of Ntracks. It seems to have alot of features and a very good price tag. I'm really kinda poor so anything that's a good value for the money is very appealing to me. I was liking the free Cubasis but have heard from you as well as others that it pretty much sucks.

the 428, 224, and 122 are all made by frontier design and distributed by tascam.

the 428 has better D/A/D converters, but all of the reports that I have heard and the music that i've heard on this group by 122 users is good.

I use the 428 with Sonar 2.2 xl...verrry nice indeed. I thought that having 4 inputs would be over kill for me as well, but as I got more into it, I'm glad I have the little extra, the 428 offers.

dana

Back