Tascam 424mkIII, strange noises on playback

soulsonic

Hello everyone! I've got a little problem with my 424mkIII: when I play back there's these strange "snapping" sounds. Sort of like little static-y snaps or something. It only happens on playback and it will do it even if there is no tape loaded into the transport, so I think it's not anything to do with the tape itself. It appears on each playback channel and the volume of the snapping sounds can be turned up and down with the mixer - so I think it's something happening in the circuit between the playback head and the mixer itself.
Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is there a solution? Other than this annoying problem, the tape machine seems to function fine. Is it possibly power related? When the guitarist in my band switched his amp off while I was listening to the playback, there was a loud "snap" in the headphones that was similar to the other noises I was hearing. Could my power be that dirty? I would expect the power supply would take care of things like that, but that's why I'm asking you folks here, so I can hopefully learn what's going on.

A guy on this board had that recently, & it drove him crazy.

It turned out to be stray RFI from a wireless phone set in the home. It took repair efforts and discussions at length to determine the cause of the stray magnetism causing his problem.:eek:;)

This part has me concerned:

"When the guitarist in my band switched his amp off while I was listening to the playback, there was a loud "snap" in the headphones that was similar to the other noises I was hearing."

When your guitarist switched off his amp while the 424 was still ON, this could have created a surge, enough to fry something inside your recorder. That's a hunch but I don't know for sure. I'm sure someone more qualified will step in.

-----

Thanks for the quick reply. I can think of several RF sources in my home which could possibly be doing this; everything from the aforementioned wireless phones to CFL bulbs. Is there a way to shield the unit or otherwise keep the interference out?

This part has me concerned:

"When the guitarist in my band switched his amp off while I was listening to the playback, there was a loud "snap" in the headphones that was similar to the other noises I was hearing."

When your guitarist switched off his amp while the 424 was still ON, this could have created a surge, enough to fry something inside your recorder. That's a hunch but I don't know for sure. I'm sure someone more qualified will step in.

-----

No, it was making the noises before that. The surge from the amp didn't have any affect on the unit's condition. Just a noise.

Possibly the capstan motor's on the way out and giving interference. I think these motors were cheap and nasty.
If you have a pitch control, try altering it listening to a blank section of tape and see if the pitch of the static changes along with it.

Tim

Possibly the capstan motor's on the way out and giving interference. I think these motors were cheap and nasty.
If you have a pitch control, try altering it listening to a blank section of tape and see if the pitch of the static changes along with it.

Tim

Okay, I've been listening very closely, and it does seem that the snapping sounds come in a pseudo-periodic fashion the frequency of which is affected by the speed control. What would one suggest as a possible solution?

Back