Tascam 424MKII and Mixer

fendermustang

Sorry for a silly question but would it be an advantage to have a seperate mixer before the Tascam 424MKII. It's a combination mixer recorder 4track with 8inputs but was reading some posts and wondered if it would expand my recording.
Thanks, this place is great

If you need more inputs than the unit itself gives you,then yes.I used to have a 424Mk I,and it had individual track OUTS which are cool "cause then you can have your 4 tape tracks as part of a larger mix w/MIDI on a bigger console,for example.Don't know if your model has that feature,though.Cheers!

Hey Fendermustang,

I use my 424 mkIII and my mixer together. the thing that i like the best is that i can record all of the drum set on one or two tracks, via the outs on my board. sometimes you end up with a good live take of the whole band, and still have a couple tracks open for vocals that aren't bounced or compromised due to noise.

Good luck...Pete

[Edited by Pete Kopplin on 08-09-2000 at 16:25]

Timely question

As I also have a 424MkII and was thinking of doing the same thing. I assume that the external mixer comes into the Tascam through the sub inputs. Or, inversely, the line outs from the Tascam go into the Sub ins of the external mixer. I'm not in front of my Tascam, but I'm pretty srue it doesn't have individual outs.

I use a Behringer 802A and input instruments to the mixer on individual channels then from the Main Outs (left/right) run cables to the 424's mic/line inputs for whichever channel (panned left or right) is appropriate.

424MKII outs

REGS youre 424mkII has four individual outputs on the back of the unit. these outputs jacks get signal directly from the tape tracks. sync tones for midi can be recorded onto track 4 and then sent out of jack 4 to midi or smpte timecode readers. this is pretty much word for word out of the manual. CALO

Cool!

That's good news. I use the thing almost every day, you'd think I would know it better!

So, when using a dedicated mixer I should run the outs from my 424 to the ins on the dedicated board? DOes that make sense, or should I just run from the stereo outs on the 424 to a sub input on the dedicated board?

REGS Im no expert on this, but I think you could do either, depending on what it is youre trying to do.... what ARE you trying to do? CALO

Hell if I know! This is all hypothetical since I don't have an outboard mixer yet, and have no real plans to get one. but Behringer makes some very inexpensive, and from what I've hear pretty good, mixers, so I can see getting one when I need more inputs. So I was just trying to get to the bottom of how you use two together.

reqs (Da finally got that right)... those outputs came in handy for me when I went out from them into a digital recorder. Iwas then able to remix using its onbord effects and compressor . And I still got that great tape sound. cool, huh? ......CALO

Hey guys,
I seem to get the best sound recording to the line/mic ins from the stereo/l-r outs of my board. I mostly use the board for drum tracks (micing a set) and record to two tracks. I send EQ'd on the board, but dry level on tape. From there, I have two solid, well (pre)EQ'd tracks of drums, and can bounce down to one. From there, while bouncing, I add a little of the other identical track to give it a warmer, full sound. Of course, no one asked any of this...
Pete

Back