Tascam 414 mkII question - # of mics?

adrianhouse

Hi everyone, I'm trying to do some recording on my 414mkII cassette recorder, haven't used it in a couple of years. I want to record drums and so have 3 mics set up, but there are only 2 xlr inputs. So I tried plugging one mic in with an xlr to 1/4 cable, but no sound. Any tips, or is it just not possible to used 3 mics at once? Any help much appreciated, thanks,
Adrian

There's something about not doubling up XLR and mic/line in on the same track. Try plugging your 1/4" mic into the mic/line jack for track #3 or #4. You may also need to use the direct recording to specific tracks in this case. I'm not really sure.

Hey, thanks man (assuming you're a Beatles fan from the username). I'll try running it through some different tracks. What did you mean re "use the direct recording to specific tracks", though?
Cheers,

The 1/4" plugs are probably line level inputs and won't work with a mic. You could buy a cheap pre amp, plug the 3rd mic into that and then plug the line out of the preamp into the 1/4" jack of the tascam.

Alan.

Jjones, yes I'm using one condensor but I've got an adaptor for it. Alan, thanks for the advice. I thought turning up the "trim" control for the preamp would be enough, but I guess maybe I need another one. Hopefully not too much dough...
Anyhow, I'm going to mess around with it all again tomorrow, hopefully have more luck.
Thanks guys,
Adrian

Hey, thanks man (assuming you're a Beatles fan from the username). I'll try running it through some different tracks. What did you mean re "use the direct recording to specific tracks", though?
Cheers,

I'm definitely a Beatles fan and a CPA that does tax work. It sort of works on two levels. :)

When you record, you can either record tracks to R or L or you can assign the inputs directly to record on tracks 1 - 4. That's what the numbers are for above "safe" on the little switch. You have to be careful if you're mixing it up though. If you are recording direct to track 4 and also recording R on another track, you need to make sure the pan on track 4 is hard L or else you'll get bleed through of what you are recording to R on track #4 along with the direct input to track #4. For this reason, you can't record, both L and R and to specific tracks at the same time. The manual talks about all this if I'm confusing things. I think you have less control when you record direct to a track. If I remember right, the slider for the track doesn't work in direct mode only the trim control works.

If you don't have a mic pre, but have another mixing desk lying around you can use the mixer as an extra pre (or 2) and take a line out of that to the tascam.

Alan.

Hi guys, just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I figured out that you can't have more than one mic in the xlr inputs if you're using 3 - 2 of them have to be in the 1/4" inputs. But I actually only ended up using 2 mics anyways. I'm pretty happy with the results, and you can check them out here if you like - powerpop/garage rock kind of vein, with a few country songs at the end:
Adrian House

Songs 1-5 and 9 are on the Tascam, 6-8 on a friend's digital recorder. Cassette sounds WAY better in my opinion!

Thanks again,
Adrian

Back