Tascam 388 Patchbay Question

nateb553

Hey everyone. I read this forum religiously but this is my first post! Dumb questions incoming..

I have a Tascam 388, an Ebtech Line Level Shifter, Focusrite 8Prex as my interface, and a Neutrick patchbay. There are a few things I'd like to accomplish but I can't wrap my mind around the signal flow and was hoping someone could help walk me through it. Would it be possible to do the following things:

1. Since the 388 has no +48v, could I bypass the Tascam Pres by patching into the Focusrite Pres instead (to utilize their phantom power) while still transferring audio from the tape machine into my DAW?

2. Would it be possible to output a mix from Pro Tools, into the tape machine, and then return back to Pro Tools?

Again, probably dumb questions, but I really want to make sure I get everything right so I dont create some kind of feedback loop and damage any of this expensive equipment. Thanks so much in advance, its nice to finally make a post here!

Don't know why you have been ignored Nate (do other know something I've missed?) but no, you will not damage anything with "wrong plugging" even if you get feedback. Won't do ears and nerves much good but you will no cause smoke. .....Basic Pluggeratin' 101..

All gear powered down. Plug up experimental routing (draw it up first). Keep all gains and faders at minimum. Power on. Bring gains and faders up slowly and at the first hint of hum or feedback, stop and have a re think.

But, WTGR that is hardly "noob" gear you have there. You should invest some time in learning some basic audio electronics. Levels and decibels.

Dave.

Back