Tascam 388 Bias help

Chip Whitley

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can save my session once again! My band just got some new tape for our 388 and what we're hearing through the monitors live, is nowhere near what's coming through on playback.

We just got ATR NAB 1/4 inch pancake that we wound onto a 7" reel ourselves. Previously we were usung RMGI SM911 and Quantegy 457.

Now my question is, I know this is a Bias issue. I've worked on this machine before(with the help of the minds here), and I have the 388 manual, I just want to make sure I don't make a wrong move. Do I just adjust C103, C203, C303, and C403 until what comes through the monitors live is what comes through on playback? Is this a 'Recording Level' issue or is this a 'Reproduce Level' thing? Or both? Or none of them?

I've read through everything I can find online here and other forums, I'm more or less looking for "turn x### till you get the sound you want on track 1 & 5. Turn x### until you get it on 2 & 6. Etc etc.

I know it may not be THAT simple, I'm just hoping someone can get me in the direction I need to be going. A huuuge thanks in advance to anyone who can help me save this session for my band!

Start by using the procedure in the manual.You will have to reset the record level after re-biasing.

And the bias amps on the 388 are likely not going to be able to bias the ATR tape...and you may need to adjust the tension if you're using thicker tape like that. Best thing for the 388 is to stick to 457 or LPR35. If you use 457 set the output of the bias amps to 150mV. If you use LPR35, there is a level I found that properly biases that tape. I'll have to hunt for what I found...

And the bias amps on the 388 are likely not going to be able to bias the ATR tape...and you may need to adjust the tension if you're using thicker tape like that. Best thing for the 388 is to stick to 457 or LPR35. If you use 457 set the output of the bias amps to 150mV. If you use LPR35, there is a level I found that properly biases that tape. I'll have to hunt for what I found...

You might need an MRL calibration tape. 355 nWb/meter for the speed you're recording at. ATR is a very hot tape and you can hit it with a lot more signal than 457 but to get there you need to recal the repro amps.- Jeff

Changing the operating level from 250nw to 355 nw will affect the DBX tracking,(if you're using it). Sweetbeats suggestion of using 457 or lpr35 is a better solution.Cranking up the tensions will also contribute to faster head wear.

Yup...+1 ^^^^^

The 388 is a well-designed machine. Use it as intended and it'll treat you right. I personally can't imagine why anybody would want to use tape on a 388 that it can't bias and for which you'll be so far away from hitting MOL the tape you won't get any of the nice tape distortion.

And also YOU DON'T NEED A CAL TAPE FOR EVERY OPERATING LEVEL YOU USE. I'm not shouting. A 250nWb/m tape can be used for 185, 320, 355...whatever. Just adjust your levels on the meters.

Listen to wkrbee...

As long as you remember your cal tape standard level, the level you're shooting for & compensate.

A while back, I did a cal on a 32 for some guy with a 185 nWb/m tape & I set 0VU there & forgot to compensate. Post-sale, I was mortified when I recalled my mistake. I had to call him & offer to do a quick recal which he declined, having driven away some distance already. I then told him he could hit the needle all the way on the right with no ill effect & his 0VU point was actually +3db on the meter. He seemed okay with that, and actually seemed to like it, in concept.

Since then, I've tweaked myself each time I've used the 185 cal tape when shooting for 250. Previously on a Fostex M80/M20 cal, I was shooting for 320 & compensating for that with the same 185 tape. It seems easy to forget to compensate up from 185 when in the thick of it all. I've had many re-do's for this and other issues, but generally my calibrations turn out well and are many levels better than how they were when I started. Noticeably better.

:spank::eek:;)

Back