Tascam 38

I like the Fostex line of 1/4" 8-tracks on 7" reels,... A8LR, M80, R8,... & I think the A2 & Model 20 2-track mastering decks are fine. I've not been exposed first hand to the likes of the E8, or any of the 1/2" 16-tracks, but I believe they'd be acceptable. I've no experience with the A4, and it's probably okay, but a Tascam 22-4 would probably be preferable.

I think Fostex really got it right early on targeting the 1/4" tape on 7" spools @ 15 IPS market exclusively, (budget home market). There were many days and nights in the early 80s I worked with my venerable Tascam 38 & wished I could hop down to a more budget 1/4" format, with 1/2" tape being about $42/reel at the time.

However, this late in the game where you might hit a snag with Fostex is parts & support, which is virtually zero. Fostex America pulled up stakes and left the USA about 10 years ago. If you have a problem with your Fostex deck you're literally in the second hand DIY market, exclusively. Tascam still supports it's legacy equipment with parts and service.

Fostex decks are okay in their niche, though, FWIW. If you get a robust unit that's clean, low use and well kept, you're good to go.

I'm more biased toward Tascam vs. Fostex, but I like Fostex in the scope of what they were intended for originally, a niche market. I'm also biased toward dbx NR vs. Dolby C, but that's probably another post entirely.

:spank::eek:;)

I'd like to tag on to Dave's comments about the Fostex 1/4" decks (as well as some others comments)

As far as I know the R8 and M80 are the ONLY 15ips 1/4" 8-track machines. They are relatively portable, I've heard some REALLY good results from them, and while record time is short on the 7" reels you get portability. The only other 1/4" 8-track offering from another brand is the Tascam 388 which has it's own niche firmly carved...apples and oranges. If you have a 1/4" machine available that handles the 10.5" reels, you can often save a little money purchasing new or used (at your own risk!) 10.5" reels of 1/4" tape and spooling that onto two 7" reels. Just another way those Fostex machines can aid in economy.

I second the sync capability too as the 4030 and 4050 units can be found cheap.

As noted the downside to the Fostex machines, which is unfortunate but true, is the sheer lack of parts and service support. And there is a problematic plastic pulley design inside that I've read several reports of it failing requiring a DIY repair. Shoulda been a metal part.

Outside of those factors though a good condition low-hours R8 or M80 shouldn't be ignored for the budget minded recordist. I think they're neat.

True,...

but the A8LR came in a 7.5 and 15 IPS model, unfortunately factory set and not changeable on the fly or in the field.

Even tho the 388 is 7.5 IPS only, I think Tascam really pushed the envelope in the 1/4" 8-track niche market, and readily goes head to head with Fostex in that arena.

The sync capability of the mid & later Fostex units are pretty good, if that's your bag. I believe the primary consideration from original design was to sync reel tape to video, however with the proper cables, some considerations and maybe a few tweaks it will work to sync audio-to-audio, as well as other things such as a DAW.

Fostex cut a lot of corners to keep the size/weight and price of their recorders down to the "home" market, which included using plastic parts instead of metal, point to point soldering instead of Molex connectors, belt driven reel motors and a myriad of other things, some of which did not hold up well over time, vs. Tascam engineering philosophy which was meant to be bulletproof and stand the test of time.

As always, YMMV.
:spank::eek:;)

And there are some mods for the 38 that look interesting-removing the transformer before the head amp, swapping out op-amps etc.

Back