Tascam 38 Reel to Reel Scraping Sound

Mulevaline

I have scraping sound when playing the Tascam 38...sounds like is coming from the right reel, which looks straight-not bent or broken.
Do I just need a new take up reel???

The reel table level may have slipped and caused the reel to scrape on the front panel screws. It may be the matter of only a few mils, but usually you'd be able to see this during operation. The reel table may also be slipping on the motor shaft, which will cause a few different transport problems with spooling tape and efficiency of FF/RW operations, including noise, but might not be visible to the eye.

In either case you might want to inspect the reel table height and that the reel table is secured properly to the reel motor shaft. Tascam didn't give an inspection or adjustment port for this, and will usually require you to remove the covers to access the adjustment. I've heard of guys drilling pilot holes in the top or side to accommodate easy adjustment of the reel tables.

Another train of thought might be if the reel table level has slipped a very slight amount, would be to cut some shims out of a very thin cardboard stock and shim up the level of the offending reel.

:spank::eek:;)

I don't see the need for shims except that a person does not have the tools to make a correction. You need to take the metal bonnet off and locate the reel table mount screws and position the reel table above the face so that the tape feeds directly down the middle and packs the tape in the center of the hub. This is not a highly technical adjustment just some aggravation. You might also have a bent tension arm due to some movement or dropping an item on the deck. It is not common for the reel table to change position by itself but mostly from bad shipping. You will need a long Hex metric bit. I use excellite tools for this.
Who am I to tell you this? I am an ex- Lead Technician from Teac Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs in the Chicago area. I work on these decks 12 hours a day even now.

Back