TASCAM 38 Rack Ears Fabricated

M1Fanatic

Digital whaaa?
Finally broke down and bought the aluminum and a few pieces of hardware to build these ears for my machine.

If anyone is interested, the dimensions used were:

81.5mm from the top of the rack ear to the first hole.
149mm to the next hole, and 149mm more to the third hole.
The ear is 17.5" long, 1-7/16"" width on the front leg and 2" on the side.
Holes are 40mm from the front edge of the leg, and 6mm diameter.
Rack holes weren't measured. I just held the aluminum ear behind the rack
rail and marked the holes where I wanted them.

(If you were to use 2-1/4" angle, you could move the machine mounting holes out to 45mm. The ears are not quite flush with the front of the machine because the metal was not wide enough. I could have drilled them, but there was little margin for error.)

The front edge was cut down to 1-7/16" with a jig saw and several blades. Finer blades clog and foul the teeth faster, and a coarser blade will tend to want to jump a bit. A firm hold on the saw is required.

After sanding with 80 grit, 120, 220, and 320, an aluminum etching primer was used, and then shot with acrylic lacquer. The paint doesn't match so good, but it's out of a rattle can. I could have had a custom match done but I wasn't going to spend that kind of money otherwise I could have just bought a pair.

Total cost: $32 and change and three hours of my day off.

38rack0008.jpg

38rack0007.jpg

38rack0009.jpg

38rack0006-1.jpg

38rack0004.jpg

38rack0005.jpg

38rack0001.jpg

38rack0003.jpg

38rack0002.jpg

I think it took almost as long to wire the machine back into the console as it did to make the rack ears!

Nicely done man! If I had a work space and a clamp, I'd try to tackle a pair myself. I wonder if there are any machine shops around here...:confused:

Thanks!

It would probably take a machine shop a lot less than three hours to fabricate a pair of these.

You'll need more than a clamp to cut these though. They'd have to be in a vise to be able to control the saw. It required an enormous amount of pressure on the saw to keep it from jumping out of the kerf even when feeding slowly.

I wonder if TASCAM sells this color in a touch up can?

Good job M1! :)

Sorry I didn't have mine available to sell to you as my buyer of my 38 wanted the rack rails...as I suspected he might!

I highly doubt TEAC parts has the touch up paint or that it would financially viable to buy it from them even if they did.
Cheers! :)

Hey man, NICE work!

Just wanted to ask: Did you go to University of Portland? I noticed one of the stickers on the side of your rack...

Thanks guys!

I sort of figured he'd want those rails. He'd be a fool if he didn't.

University of Illinois.

The bumper sticker used to say; "Say Ya to Da UP, eh?" refering to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The Keewenaw. I used to vacation up there with my ex-wife. Her family is all Scandinavian.

Funny, I thought it was a sticker for University of Portland. I saw a few of those stickers near the UP campus when I lived there.

Anyway, this is really inspiring. I'm thinking I'll fabricate a pair of rack ears for my TEAC X-10R when it's up and running. Good to know it can be done!

It's really not too involved. It is just aluminum angle after all. As long as you get the holes spot on, no worries.

Ears

Great job looks fantastic, Just a hint, get rid of those slotted screws and put some nice new black Cap/machine screws in it, that way they will match the screws on the machine. Cheers.;)

Thanks for posting your project - this will come in handy whenever I (and many here likely) get around to doing this....

Great job looks fantastic, Just a hint, get rid of those slotted screws and put some nice new black Cap/machine screws in it, that way they will match the screws on the machine. Cheers.;)

That's a great idea, wish I'd thought of it while I wa at the store. I'll see if I can get some with the correct thread pitch. ;)

Good work. I'm watching this thread- someone post to it so it shows up in my email- with the search function broken, that's the only way I can find it again!

Thanks to M1Fanatic my bass player and I have taken on this project. I'll post pics when it's done. I'm going with a semi gloss black to match the other ears in the rack.

Well, I got it in today and think it'll look good once everything else is in, hooked up, and cleaned. Just wanted to show it off.
IMG_1412.jpg

Back