Tascam 38 questions

janusz konar

Hello everyone, my first post here.

I have recently switched from Tascam 488 mk2 to 38 reel to reel and Im having some problems:

Sometimes, during winding and right after approaching the end of tape (after hitting stop button bit too late) the motor stops, but then It starts to wind the other way, and wont react on stop button, so I have to shut the machine off. Is that normal?

Another question: I got a second hand unused calibration tape that works at 355 nWb/m (it was was soppose to be used for tascam 58) but manual says that a proper rate for 38 is 250 nWb. I would be quite unhappy if I had to get another test tape (200 dollars) Is there a way to use the one i got?

Please let me know if you know anything.

Issue 1: make sure the 'zero return' button isn't depressed (it's next to the tape counter display)

Issue 2: from what I've read on hear you can use any calibration tape to set the correct stats however you have to adjust the numbers. Unless you're going to calibrate for another tape type e.g. +9

I don't know anything, but I know something.

Your cal tape can be whatever it is, you just offset your level on the VU meter accordingly. So if you had a 250nW/m tape and you wanted 250nw/m you'd adjsut so your VU read 0. 355nW/m doesn't soudn like a North American standard though, which are referenced to 185 nW/m as 0, 250 as +3db etc. So for a 355nW/m tape your VU level would be somewhere around +2 to +3 if you wanted your level at 250nW/m.

See this link

Audio Recorder Setup | Quantegy Recording Solutions

I need to dig up the topic (more specific questions about setting up my 38)

I have 355 nWb test tape (insted of recommended 250 nWb) and rmg sm911 tape.
Question: How to set it up, so I can print possibly hottest signal?
I played 1khz tone and all meters showed about +3db. If I want to increase ability to print quite hot (+6?), should I set it lower or higher on the meters? I guess I should set it lower because meter ends at +3db.

Second question:

Can someone explain me step by step, how to set my 38 from -10 to +4? (my mixing board works at +4 and I need to match it)

Third question:

what is the use of a slow sweep 20hz - 20khz on a test tape?

Thank You

I need to dig up the topic (more specific questions about setting up my 38)

I have 355 nWb test tape (insted of recommended 250 nWb) and rmg sm911 tape.
Question: How to set it up, so I can print possibly hottest signal?
I played 1khz tone and all meters showed about +3db. If I want to increase ability to print quite hot (+6?), should I set it lower or higher on the meters? I guess I should set it lower because meter ends at +3db.

You should be set for 250 see the Quantegy link above. So when you hit 0VU you're already at +3dB. I'll have to look at my 38 meters, I didn't know they only went to +3.

Second question:

Can someone explain me step by step, how to set my 38 from -10 to +4? (my mixing board works at +4 and I need to match it)

You don't really (at least I don't think you can without some serious component level mods to the deck) you'd need a converter in between. Something like the Fostex 5030 or the Tascam LA-80 and 81.

Third question:

what is the use of a slow sweep 20hz - 20khz on a test tape?

Thank You

AFAIK measure Frequency response

Back