Tascam 38 difficulties

Good Friend

I have a Tascam 38 that is giving me problems. When rewinding, as it comes near 0000 i hear a "RAHRAHRAHRAH" sound, the tape starts going the other way and starts fast forwarding and no buttons on either the remote or the machine can stop it. It has to be shut off. Its becoming a real hassle and i cant really use it in its current condition. Playback and all that sounds fine and works fine.

Does it sound like a braking problem? Im afraid im going to have to send it off but i dont want to. I have no idea what it would cost to fix and shipping would be a nightmarish gamble. But i dont want to give up on owning a 38 and using one. Does anyone know what all they do at tascams service center? I mean, can i expect them to go through it all and bring everything back up to where it should be? Thanks for any info.

If you want to get it serviced then yes, it most likely can be brought back to spec but you need to first find a local authorized TASCAM service centre which has a good track record with repairing analog machines. It'd be nice to get an additional, recent, reference or three, from previous clients of the said machine.

Back