Tascam 38, 48 or Otari 5050 mkIII

raary

Hi, I'm in the process of setting up an analogue studio.
Through some basic research it seems that one the following: Tascam 38, Tascam 48 or Otari 5050 mkIII, 8-track half inch recorders would be ideal for the setup I want.
Does anyone with more experience have an opinion on which of these three machines is the best/worst? money may be a factor in my final decision, but I'd like to know which one to try and aim to get at least.

You're help would be very much appreciated

Raary

(the Otari looks the prettiest but I don't want that to sway my decision too much :) )

I can't be of any actual help,having absolutely zero experience with open reel recording.
However,my 8-track Otari arrived yesterday,and it is literally awesome looking.Built like an M1 Abrams tank.
I'm looking forward to learning how to use it.

i just found a fostex e16 with remote control that looks like good value for money... does anyone have an opinion on these?

For what it's worth, my quest for a 1/2" 8-track concluded with Tascam's latest model, the TSR-8. Before that I worked with both the Tascam 38 and The Otari MX5050 MKII 8.

One thing to consider is that Tascam really took the lead in refining head design in the 80's. The later models, which include the 38, 48 and TSR-8 benefited most from that research. I originally went shopping for a 38, as that was the cat's pajamas in my younger days. The Otari units are extremely well built and had a much higher list price than the Tascam models, if that tells you anything. I actually prefer the classic design of the Otari -- overhead meters and horizontal orientation.

I would be content with any of the above. The TSR-8 just edged out the others for some extras I was looking for, such as on-board dbx. The only thing I don't like at all on the TSR-8 is the 2-head design, which makes calibration a pain in the ...

The sound quality and performance of the machine in use is excellent -- pro level all the way.

I'm not very familiar with the Tascam 40 series.

-Tim

raary said:
Hi, I'm in the process of setting up an analogue studio.
Through some basic research it seems that one the following: Tascam 38, Tascam 48 or Otari 5050 mkIII, 8-track half inch recorders would be ideal for the setup I want.
Does anyone with more experience have an opinion on which of these three machines is the best/worst? money may be a factor in my final decision, but I'd like to know which one to try and aim to get at least.

You're help would be very much appreciated

Raary

(the Otari looks the prettiest but I don't want that to sway my decision too much :) )

Otari is a better sounding and very reliable machine. The 38s are hit or miss in the reliability department. Sound is fine but the Otari has more "Punch" and low end on the drums. The Otari is probably more on par with the Tascam 80-8. I loved both the MX5050 and the 80-8. Had them both and both were very close in performance.

I just got my 5050 up and running and it sounds awesome. I will agree with the bottom end being punchy. Also the layout is great. Wish I had a remote though.

Can the Tascam/TEAC machines put out a comparable sound to the Otari's?

I like the parts availability, but my band wants to put out a high quality sound. I've seen frequency curve responses for the Otari's, but not the TASCAMs.

We want a dirty rock sound, with plenty of low end on the kick drum.

superstupid said:

I like the parts availability, but my band wants to put out a high quality sound. I've seen frequency curve responses for the Otari's, but not the TASCAMs.

YES!

/DA

superstupid said:

They are both great machines capable of great things. Proper recording technique and performance are the biggest factors to a good sound.

(Don't worry Reel, I would never dis your 38)
:D :p :D :p

reel to reel

hi, i work on a tascam ATR 60-2 , Tascam 48 (8 track ) and also Otari 5050.
i recommend allways Tascam. dont buy a 32 or 38 series. its ok for recording at home or whatever but not for daily studiowork. if you need timecode or real proffessionel gear then buy the 42 (mastering) or the 48 (8 track). even better are the 52 or 58 . the ATR series is state of the art but more expensive. spare parts are still available. dont buy any old studer or akai. its a nightmare to get the spare parts. Otari is also a very fine machine. i know someone who wants to sell a 5050 for 2000 euro. that machine has been used for just 2 days! its brandnew.
otherwise i recommend a Tascam 48 with external DBX compression / noise reduction. dont forget . 8 tracks means 8 times more noise and 8 times noisereduction. you need DBX or Dolby or Highcom. DBX might be the cheapest one. the other problem is to get new tapes. QUANTEGY still provides new tapes. dont use old tapes that you find on ebay. after all those years the tapes loose their oxidation and it can destroy your recording heads. i have seen that the tape became so sticky that the whole machine stopped and all heads had to be removed. the latest model is the BR20 wich is still available from Tascam directly. also a very nice mastering machine.
but 8 track i recommend Tascam 48 , 58 or ATR, Quantegy tape " GP9" (best tape at moment ) and then you can enjoy the power of fat tapecompression!! :-D . and by the way. tryto find one nearby. the Tascam stuff is heavy. 40 kilo or more. so transport might be expensive.
greetz
FM

raary said:
i just found a fostex e16 with remote control that looks like good value for money... does anyone have an opinion on these?

Just a suggestion, you can't get a single part for Fostex, I had an R8, loved it dearly but had to get rid of it because of that time bomb factor. Stick with the Otari or Tascam, both very nice machines.

beroshima said:
hi, i work on a tascam ATR 60-2 , Tascam 48 (8 track ) and also Otari 5050.
i recommend allways Tascam. dont buy a 32 or 38 series. its ok for recording at home or whatever but not for daily studiowork.

For any recorder of that vintage, it's really a moot point. I always recommend getting the one with the least amount of hours, in the best condition, whether it's be the 30, 40, 50 series or the Otari and having it serviced prior to use. Any of those will be reliable in the studio environment and will sound fine.

dont buy any old studer or akai. its a nightmare to get the spare parts. Otari is also a very fine machine. i know someone who wants to sell a 5050 for 2000 euro. that machine has been used for just 2 days! its brandnew.

Is this an ad or an informative post ? Of course you can still get parts for Studer but they're very expensive. Akai.... as far as I know they never made studio machines only consumer models....

otherwise i recommend a Tascam 48 with external DBX compression / noise reduction. dont forget . 8 tracks means 8 times more noise and 8 times noisereduction. you need DBX or Dolby or Highcom. DBX might be the cheapest one.

You don't "need" anything. The tascam 1/2" 8 track recorders, any of the series and especially the 48 and 58 are very quiet, even at lower recording levels. Sure, when you get to even more narrow formats, like 1/4" 8 track then noise reduction becomes important but I would not advise it otherwise. dbx, even when calibrated properly, sounds very good but, at least to my ears, is not transparent and thus I'd only use it when absolutely neccessary.

the other problem is to get new tapes. QUANTEGY still provides new tapes. dont use old tapes that you find on ebay. after all those years the tapes loose their oxidation and it can destroy your recording heads. i have seen that the tape became so sticky that the whole machine stopped and all heads had to be removed.

That's not accurate. Quantegy has closed down and is not making any tape at all and whatever stock was available is no more. There is no problem getting new tapes. RMGI (BASF / EMTEC) is in production.

Sticky shed info has been written on about extensively on this board. Check recent posts by "Beck".

the latest model is the BR20 wich is still available from Tascam directly. also a very nice mastering machine.

The BR-20 has been discontinued by TASCAM.

but 8 track i recommend Tascam 48 , 58 or ATR, Quantegy tape " GP9" (best tape at moment ) and then you can enjoy the power of fat tapecompression!! :-D .

There is more to the tape sound than "compression". I personally dislike pushing recording levels. GP9 and its equivalent formulations are stiff, heavy tapes and should not be used on such gear.

and by the way. tryto find one nearby. the Tascam stuff is heavy. 40 kilo or more. so transport might be expensive.

It's not the transport expense that one should worry about but shipping damage, which is too prevalent. That is why local pickup is best.

Hey Scott.
Have you loaded any new songs on my space lately? And could you send me the link? I lost it :o
And how is the 22-4 doing?

I have been slowly working on the basement and hope to be ready to do some recording in a couple of months.
Hint Hint

Tascam 38,48 or Otari

Reel Recording,
In your opinion what is a Fostex G16 worth. In this case the said machine has been completely gone over recently, all new caps in I/O cards. At a cost of $1300?

My 38 is awesome. Like anything you get a good one and your happy, you get a bad one and you'll more than likely never buy from that manufacture again.

Sorry...lame joke on being bhind the times.

Hey, I don't think reel recording is going to reply, but I'll give my 2p in that it comes down to the condition of the heads.

Is it local to you and are you able to go check it out? And are you saying the asking price is $1300 or that the amp cards were rebuilt for the sum of $1300?

[EDIT]

Or...wait...is it your machine and yer askin' what to ask for it price-wise?

Nice G16 local to me for $250...isn't selling at that price either.

Back