tascam 38 + 388

cracklin'

I met a guy who is willing to sell his working tascam 38 for $300. First off: is this a good deal?
I am already using a tascam 388 and really like it. I was wondering if I could somehow combine the two machines. I would really enjoy not having to bounce down 8 tracks just so I can add two more. so the extra tracks would rock.
I also have a mackie 1604 that I figure i could use to mix all the tracks from both machines...but i would definately want to use the preamps in the 388 for tracking. I just figure that $300 for the 38 might be too good of a deal to pass up...but i dont really know.
any ideas would help...

cracklin' said:
I met a guy who is willing to sell his working tascam 38 for $300. First off: is this a good deal?
I am already using a tascam 388 and really like it. I was wondering if I could somehow combine the two machines. I would really enjoy not having to bounce down 8 tracks just so I can add two more. so the extra tracks would rock.
I also have a mackie 1604 that I figure i could use to mix all the tracks from both machines...but i would definately want to use the preamps in the 388 for tracking. I just figure that $300 for the 38 might be too good of a deal to pass up...but i dont really know.
any ideas would help...

I don't know about synching the two. I'm sure someone here does, but a 38 in good working condition fo r $300 is a good deal.

The 388 can be master or slave, so it could be synced to the 38 or anything else with an external synchronizer using SMPTE.

What Kind of music do you record? Drum machines, keyboards? Real drums and guitars?

You will need to invest in an external synchronizer and special cables. You will give up a track on each machine for a sync track, so you’ll have a 14-track system. You will have two different tapes to keep track of, one ½” for the 38 and as you know, ¼” on the 388. If you spread your tracks across these two formats you will always have to have those two machines to play the raw tracks.

It can be done, but I don’t recommend it in most cases.
:)

Last edited:
You can sync the two as previously mentioned. the 38 is a good machine but if you can find a TSR8 you would be much better off in the sync department+ newer mor pro level unit. I would check the unit out first. If it has been moved a lot you should check head alignment (zenith azimuth etc. ) Tascam did make a control for midistudios in the 80's called the TDM1000 midizer that could be used as a time clock via smpte and will also generate smpte so you can stripe one track of each machine in order to sync the two. also if you are doing this mke shure to give yourself enough time between each take so as to allow the two units to sync up. It takes a few seconds.

Back