TASCAM 34B help wanted.

pvdm

vintage audio geek
I'm looking for a service manual for a tascam 34b, to do the calibrations.

There are some downloadable PDF's out there that are called servicemanual, but actually are operating/maintenance manuals, with the service manual of the 34 (not 'B') added.

I would be really greateful if someone could help me.

-Philip

it is also the same procedure as the Tascam 32 and 38. Any of those manuals will work. Identical procedures. When you say calibrations are you referring to electronics and mechanical or electronics only ?

Thank you both for your replies.

I will be doing both mechanical and electrical calibration. I agree that the electronics are mostly shared between the models, but I seems to recall having read somewhere that the 34b is a newer, modified 34. Can't find the site now, though.

The reason I suspect that the procedure is not the same as for instance the 34, is because the 34b has input and output level controls on the front for each channel, *with* a 'cal' position (with click). The Tascam 34 is straight line level I/O. So I suspect (from the procedure from other teac/tascam models I've calibrated) that there will be steps where you might want to have to put the controls in that 'cal' position, or another step where you put them fully clockwise. The 34 obviously won't have that step.
I really hate having ambiguities in service manuals :facepalm:

-Philip

Thank you both for your replies.

I will be doing both mechanical and electrical calibration. I agree that the electronics are mostly shared between the models, but I seems to recall having read somewhere that the 34b is a newer, modified 34. Can't find the site now, though.

The reason I suspect that the procedure is not the same as for instance the 34, is because the 34b has input and output level controls on the front for each channel, *with* a 'cal' position (with click). The Tascam 34 is straight line level I/O. So I suspect (from the procedure from other teac/tascam models I've calibrated) that there will be steps where you might want to have to put the controls in that 'cal' position, or another step where you put them fully clockwise. The 34 obviously won't have that step.
I really hate having ambiguities in service manuals :facepalm:

-Philip

do it with CAL enabled. so it ignores the knobs. I have a tascam 42 that also has CAL switches and all of the calibration is with the CAL switches enabled. So it should be the same, and ideally you want to use it in CAL mode as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

It doesn't have a CAL switch, CAL is just a position on the dial, with a click.
I probably will have to calibrate this deck 'in the spirit of those other servicemanuals', instead of trying to follow it to the letter.

-Philip

Last edited:
Found the correct manual,

tascam34bmanual.png

and the cal setting :D

Thanks for al the help.

Last edited:
Back