Tascam 32 vs 22

Jillchaw

Can someone who has used both units please explain any differences in features or sound quality differences between these two? Id appreciate any help. I am going to use either one for tape tricks, quick song demos, and for mastering off of a Tascam 38. Thanks again.

There are two differences between the two models.

1 - reel size capacity.

2 - mechanical counter versus electronic with RTZ.

Everything else is the same in terms of heads and electronics.

Cheers! :)

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the 32 has a pitch (speed) knob, whereas the 22 definitely does not. I read that you want to use the 32 for "tape tricks," which may make it a better choice over the 22.

Personally, I have the 22 and think it's great.

Best of luck,
-MD

The 32 will do recording/overdubbing onto Track 1 & 2 independently,...

and apparently the 22-2 will not. ;)

Last edited:
The 22-2 does independently record/play tracks, just like the 32.

No bells and whistles on the 22-2, but this is one reason they generally outlast others in their class, like the Fostex E-2, when it comes to mean hours before failure. Give them a new belt and keep the pinch roller healthy and it’s like they where made yesterday.

The 22-2 was a fluke. It has filled much bigger shoes than even Tascam intended. Time has shown they stay true, sound great and keep on purring.

Same with the TEAC X-3, which the 22-2 is based on… you almost have to drop them off the second floor do get them to stop. :)

Beck said:
The 22-2 does independently record/play tracks, just like the 32.:)
Beck,...

I've traditionally said and/or assumed the 22-2 does independent track 1/2 dubbing, based on the specs and features, which I'm somewhat familiar with, (but I'm not a 22-2 owner, myself). However, there was a long series of posts recently where mxmkr swore up & down that the 22-2 does independent dubbing of tracks 1/2, but no "sync overdubbing", as such.

So, does it? Or, to what extend does the 22-2 do dubbing onto tracks 1 & 2 independently? Is it actually a "sync-overdub", the way I assumed at first, or is it not?

Mxmkr said that the feature of "independent monitor and record function on tracks 1 and 2" was not a true sync-overdubbing, but more geared toward sound-on-sound or independent track dubbing that does not depend on sync.

(Maybe an old subject, but...) Could you explain?

Thanx!

Sorry for a reely dumm question,...

How many heads on the 22-2?

If it's 3 heads, you'd expect the typical "Sync/Repro" selector switches, which the 22-2 obviously does not have.

If it's a 2 head deck, then Monitor: Source/Tape could still indicate sync/overdubbing capability.

Inquiring minds want to know!! :eek: ;)

[EDIT]
I saw a photo of the "specs" page in the 22-2 manual, and it says:
Head Configuration: 3 heads: Erase, Record & Reproduce.

Still no sync, eh?

Mixmkr & I discussed this several times at length, and I must admit, I still don't get it. What's the point of having 3-heads with independend Record Function and Monitor Select, if not for sync/overdubbing?

In my opinion, the 22-2 may be a handy and great sounding deck, but these features were not fully thought out!!
[/EDIT]

Maybe O/T,...

but I just scoped out the Fostex Model 20, that's similar to the 22-2 in format and size, same # of heads (3), but the Model 20 does indeed have a "Input/Sync/Repro" selector for independent sync/overdubbing to tracks 1 & 2. (Plus center timecode track)!

It makes me happy I got the Fostex Model 20 instead of the Tascam 22-2!! :eek: ;)

(Nyah, nyah, nyah!)

Attachments

• 6540908_o.jpg
    6540908_o.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 71
So what the

Like i said, the machine will mostly be used for mastering. The tape tricks i want to use it for are not really varispeed tricks, more like "musique concrete" or half/double speeding things. I would like to use it for ideas and trying things before having to break out the 1/2 tape. So youre telling me that i wouldnt be able to record a piano on track 2 while listening to a guitar/voice already recorded on track 1? Would anything done on it have to be done simultaneously to occupy both tracks?

Would anything done on it have to be done simultaneously to occupy both tracks?
Yes.

The independent L-R record feature on the 22-2 was a feature used primarily by people who wanted to record mono dialog tracks and gain some tape economy in the process by doubling the recoding time in mono.

Cheers! :)

Here is one you dont see alot of the teac 32-2 And it is a 1/2 track also.
But it wont let you even do seperate tracks like the tascam 22-2 will.
And it wont do sync either.

Note the dual capstans!

Attachments

• 32-2.JPG
    32-2.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 57
Come on Dave you know its eating at you that you dont have a 22-2 in your collection :D

Attachments

• 22-2,s.JPG
    22-2,s.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 54
Back