Tascam 32 for $610.50

Did I get a good deal?

That machine was made in '86. Looks very clean and low use with original box, remote, calib tape, original manual, hub adapters and metal 10" take up reel. Not a bad price but certainly not the best, at least from my perspective. At the very least, it's a lower use, clean machine with all the original accessories. A fairly rare find. That's a good score in itself.

Is this a local pickup? I HOPE THE SELLER DOESN'T PLAN TO SHIP IN THE ORIGINAL BOX? If this is to be shipped, let me know and I'll offer a couple of tips so that you don't receive a smashed 32. Tell the seller to hold off from shipping until you get back to him.

Ok, you do indicate "$75 shipping" so I assume it's going to be sent. Let me warn you right now that more likely than not, it's not going to be a pleasant trip for your 32. Make an explicit request to the seller that he find a brand new 24x24x24 box, line it with some snug, well fitting, thick, white styrofoam sheets [home depot] and place the original box into it, making sure it doesn't shift inside. At the bottom, there must be a least 2" of styro and also on top and however many inches is possible for the sides. I'd also line the bottom of the box [on top of the styro sheet], with several inches of heavily crumpled and compacted packing paper, in a harmonica like fashion [for a cushioning effect]. This must be done right in order for it to work at protecting the recorder. Clearly label the outer box with arrows [THIS SIDE UP] and also "FRAGILE HANDLE WITH CARE" all over it. Insure it for full value and have it shipped FEDEX GROUND, at the very least and ideally FEDEX overnight or express. It's costly but a much safer way. Tell the seller you'll pay for the extra packing materials.

I appreciate all the advice. But I dont agree that Fragile should be written on it at all. I have a cousin who works at a UPS hub in Chicago and he says that that is equivelant of a "Big Red Bullseye".
Oh and I will pack it like you mention Cjacek. I cant believe I got 610.50 for it...

But I dont agree that Fragile should be written on it at all. I have a cousin who works at a UPS hub in Chicago and he says that that is equivelant of a "Big Red Bullseye".
Oh and I will pack it like you mention Cjacek. I cant believe I got 610.50 for it...

I used to work for DHL and to 99% of the drivers any "fragile", "handle with care", or "this side up" was guaranteed to be dropped, rolled, kicked, thrown, etc. Then again, what do you expect from people who make less than minimum wage?:confused::eek: Of course most of the damage happened either on the plane or loading/unloading the plane. The drivers just finished the job.

Poor packing under those circumstances = dumpster fodder. I guess poor tape jobs, weak boxes, and insufficient packing materials were the biggest killers of freight.

I used to work for DHL and to 99% of the drivers any "fragile", "handle with care", or "this side up" was guaranteed to be dropped, rolled, kicked, thrown, etc. Then again, what do you expect from people who make less than minimum wage?:confused::eek:

I doubt it's minimum wage but rather the hateful character of such people.

I doubt it's minimum wage but rather the hateful character of such people.

$10/hr salary (yes, I said salary..........salad is more like it) with 65+ hours/week. Not much more and minimum wage after you break it down.:eek:

Yeah it was me who sold it.

It's damn rare here for people to post how good they sold an item. It's, rather, what they've bought and are showing off their purchase.

Too bad. It was a nice machine. You shoulda kept it.

$10/hr salary (yes, I said salary..........salad is more like it) with 65+ hours/week. Not much more and minimum wage after you break it down.:eek:

Right, but at least in my mind there is no correlation between them doing a job, which they are getting paid for, no matter how much and destroying packages belonging to people they don't know, simply because they're labelled "Fragile". It's like blaming violent movies or video games on violence in our society. It's rather the result of the person / child being fucked up from the moment they're born and raised by rotten parents in a rotten environment and not that they are making pennies a day, at DHL or UPS, as adults. I say it again that the "99%" of the DHL drivers you speak of are truly rotten human beings if they take it out on packages in such a way. You think that if they made more, it would make them into respectful people?

Right, but at least in my mind there is no correlation between them doing a job, which they are getting paid for, no matter how much and destroying packages belonging to people they don't know, simply because they're labelled "Fragile". It's like blaming violent movies or video games on violence in our society. It's rather the result of the person / child being fucked up from the moment they're born and raised by rotten parents in a rotten environment and not that they are making pennies a day, at DHL or UPS, as adults. I say it again that the "99%" of the DHL drivers you speak of are truly rotten human beings if they take it out on packages in such a way. You think that if they made more, it would make them into respectful people?

I'm not trying to justify the damage with the lack of pay, by any stretch of the imagination. You get what you pay for though. With such a high turn over rate of drivers and lack of ethics on the part of DHL, it's a wonder they are still in business. I was one of the few who actually liked my route and liked my customers. The pay sucked and the hours were horrendous, but the people on the route made up for it. What truly sucked was having to deliver something that was destroyed by the loaders/unloaders of the plane with a little note they attached saying the equivalent of "Oops, so sorry."

None of the big 3 couriers are immune from it. In one of the buildings I was delivering to, the UPS guy had a box fall off his dolly, he muttered "fuck it" under his breath and proceeded to kick the box the rest of the way to the elevators.:eek: This was in the first floor lobby of an office building. Gee, no wonder nobody on that route liked the guy.:p

To put it simply, the heavier a package is, the chance of damage is proportionate. To have better odds, either drive and go get an item, or have it crated up and freight shipped.

Okay, I've hijacked this thread long enough. Sorry.

and proceeded to kick the box the rest of the way to the elevators.:eek:

Damn, that's a scene directly from Ace Ventura! Just imagine a bigger and heavier box with your nice open reel recorder being handled in such a manner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tN94ePhsd4

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

To have better odds, either drive and go get an item, or have it crated up and freight shipped.

Yup, that's the one thing I try to get people to do when buying stuff. Good advice.

Back