Tascam 32 belt change

jjones1700

Learning, always learning
Just a quick question before I start taking up the kitchen table with this project.

Is the procedure for replacing the capstan belt in a 32 similar to changing one in a 38? I changed out the belt in my 38 a few months ago and it wasn't that bad. Was just curious if the 32 has the same style of innards to work around.:confused:

Well, I finally got around to changing out the belt on the 32 this morning. It was turned to goo.:mad: Fortunately, it wasn't a total mess. It was still just rigid enough in places where I could peel it off. On the flywheel I just used an old store discount card to scrape the bulk of the gooey belt off. Worked pretty well. Came behind it with 91% alcohol and makeup pads. Not too big of a pain to get everything apart, cleaned, changed, and reassembled. I fired it up afterward, and she works like a sewing machine.:D

So now begs the question: What does a BR-20 have over the 32? I doubt I'll ever get my hands on a BR-20, but just curious as to what the differences are.:confused:

So now begs the question: What does a BR-20 have over the 32? I doubt I'll ever get my hands on a BR-20, but just curious as to what the differences are.:confused:

3-track timecode support (BR20T only). Microprocessor control. Awesome tape handling, and I think it can slave to timecode as well.
IIRC it can switch between NAB and IEC equalisation, but I could be wrong.

3-track timecode support (BR20T only). Microprocessor control. Awesome tape handling, and I think it can slave to timecode as well.
IIRC it can switch between NAB and IEC equalisation, but I could be wrong.

Ah, so (more or less) something like a 1/2 track, 1/4" version of the TSR8, huh?:D

That's pretty awesome.

Ok, now I've got a question about the 32 now that I've finally got this thing up and running. Everything seems to work just fine except that the signal coming from the repro head is just from the right channel. If I flip it to the sync head, it plays fine from both channels. Is this a sign of a channel card issue? Does the 32 even have channel cards? Just trying to figure out a minor issue. I haven't recorded to it yet, so I might find a clue once I get a chance to do that.

That's pretty awesome.

Ok, now I've got a question about the 32 now that I've finally got this thing up and running. Everything seems to work just fine except that the signal coming from the repro head is just from the right channel. If I flip it to the sync head, it plays fine from both channels. Is this a sign of a channel card issue? Does the 32 even have channel cards? Just trying to figure out a minor issue. I haven't recorded to it yet, so I might find a clue once I get a chance to do that.

Yes, it has two channel cards. Assuming the head is clean and that the problem moves if you swap the cards over, I would suspect the relays.

EDIT: My earlier description was misleading, I have amended it.

With the board held component-side up, and the top being the side with the connectors:

K101, which switches between sync and repro mode, should be on the far left of the card, beneath the 1st connector, J101

K103, which controls record, is on the right between the 6th and 7th connectors (J106 and J107), and K102, which is the mute relay, is on the left beneath the 2nd connector (J102). It looks like an IC.

But try swapping the cards over first.

Last edited:
Yes, it has two channel cards. Assuming the head is clean and that the problem moves if you swap the cards over, I would suspect the relays.
K101, which switches between sync and repro mode, should be on the far right of the card, beneath the 8th connector - I'm assuming that the connectors are at the top of the board.

K103, which controls record, is on the left between the second and third connectors, and K102, which is the mute relay, is on the right beneath the 7th connector.

But try swapping the cards over first.

As always JP, thanks again for the great information. Hopefully I can open her up today and swap the cards around to see what happens. I spent about an hour cleaning the transport path yesterday since I was already cleaning up the innards from the gooey belt.

As far as the relays, would they just be "sticky" for some reason, or do they just simply go bad and that's it?

As far as the relays, would they just be "sticky" for some reason, or do they just simply go bad and that's it?

Depends what's happened, I guess. Usually they go sticky. Some relays can be opened and cleaned, the others have to be replaced.

Also - having actually studied one of my cards, the schematics I was reading earlier were back-to front - i.e. taken solder side up. I will see if I can edit by earlier post to amend this.

Looking down on the components, with the connectors at the top, the relays are:

K101 - Far left, beneath connector J101
K102 - left, below J102, looks like an IC
K103 - right hand side, between J106 and J107

My Tascam 32 has been neglected for a long time, so I decided to tear into it today. The drive belt is stretched to the point of being useless. How do you change the belt? Does the entire head stack and flywheel assembly have to be completely removed?

Second, where to get another belt?

My Tascam 32 has been neglected for a long time, so I decided to tear into it today. The drive belt is stretched to the point of being useless. How do you change the belt? Does the entire head stack and flywheel assembly have to be completely removed?

Second, where to get another belt?

Wow Patlaw, can't believe I haven't answered this yet. You can call Teac/Tascam parts and order a new belt. Better order a new pinch roller while you are at it, just in case.

The head stack and flywheel have to be pulled out of the way in order to slip the belt onto the backside of the flywheel and then simply loop the other end around the motor pulley. Shouldn't take but maybe an hour, tops. I really need to post up some pics...:o

Ok, I've had a quick chance to record something onto my 32. Everything seems ok, except that instead of only one channel working on the Repro head, both work. However, it kind of fades in and out. I haven't moved the cards around or reseated them yet. Just found it interesting that the right channel came (somewhat) to life.

Back