Tascam 2488 NEO Questions

91LesPaul

Hey everyone, my first post here :drunk:

I'm looking to upgrade my recording capabilities. Basically, we are currently using a Roland BR600, recording as "Line-In" from mixer. Problem has been that's only one track at a time. This weekend, we decided to run the guitar in to the "Guitar" jack, and the Roland drums into the "Mic 2" jack. Worked much better, and we captured more of a natural feel of us playing together, minus vocals and bass.

So, we've talked about needing "something" that we can record up to 6 tracks simultaneously, to which I always respond, "Ok, who's pony'ing up at least 2 grand?" The conversation always stops there, and we go back to getting frustrated 1 track at a time.

This morning I was poking around on musiciansfriend.com, and saw the Tascam 2488 NEO. It has 8 inputs and states it can record 8 simultaneous/independent tracks for a little over $500. So now I'm intrigued.

Does anyone use this piece of gear, and what are your thoughts on it? Also, I noticed it has a CD burner on it, which leads to my next question.....

Currently, we have to transfer tracks via USB to the computer, where we use Cakewalk Music Creator to mix. I actually like using Cakewalk for the mixing, and would like to continue doing it that way. I see that the Tascam has a USB 2.0 interface, which would allow for how we currently do it (which takes a bit of time). My question is, can the individual tracks be burned to the CD and imported into editing software? I don't want to burn completed songs, just ALL tracks associated with a song at one time.

Thanks!

Frank

I have the original 2488 (not NEO). I still use it and I'd buy another one of this one died, I love it. Yes, you can burn individual tracks to a CD, or do it using USB.

Back