Tascam 2488 "direct out" function

rog999

Dear All

I currently have a DP02 but will soon be upgrading to a 2488 neo.

On the DP02 I use the stereo mix input which is perfect for my needs.
I use reaper on a laptop run as an MTC slave to the DP02 (use this for midi virtual instruments etc).

The output from Reaper goes into my mixer and I can control whther I want it just to go to the stereo mix on the DP02 just so I can hear it, or when I want to record I can redirect it to the two inputs on my DP02. Works very well.

I have read the 2488 Neo manual and I cannot see a "stereo mix" input.
The only way I could find of achievinf similar functionality is to use the "Direct Out" function. As I understand it you have toi sacrifice two of the 2488s inputs for "direct out" anything sent through these inputs will be heard but not recorded.

Please can anyone confirm that my understanding of the "direct out" function is correct and also does an yone know of an alternative way acheiving the same thing?

Many thanks in advance

Roger

Ok I suppose I am thinking aloud here...

...Having re thought this if "direct out" doesn’t work then I can always just assign everything coming Reaper, the two stealthplug mixer channels, the two drum machine mixer channels and the two synth mixer channels to two 2488 inputs and record them all onto one track, just for the benefit of getting to hear them through the monitors along with everything else. At a later stage when I am happy with the drum synth and stealthplug coming from Reaper I can record these to separate tracks on to the 2488 .

Why didnt I think of that before?

I think its because I only have two recording inputs on the DP02 and camt imagine having 8 onthe 2488 neo. I am looking forward to that.

I think you have found your own solution, recording the computer tracks to dummy tracks is a lot more convenient than always having to keep your machines in midi sync.

Back