TASCAM 246 --> Mbox --> Pro Tools + Condenser Mic + 48V = ??????

cdhoffman

Hello all,
I wasn't sure which topic to post this under, but here is my problem. I want to record a dynamic and condenser mic into my TASCAM 246 Portastudio, but the 246 does not supply phantom power. To solve this, I have connected my recorder into my MBOX via PGM out (rca) to balanced 1/4" into the dual input on the front of the MBOX. The signal enters the computer with no problems, save for a little noise from the ungrounded circuit of the tape recorder. Next, I want to plug in my cheap condenser into my MBOX, but the MBOX does not have phantom power on each individual input. It sends the 48V to ALL channels. This means that 48V WILL be sent into the TASCAM. I'm not sure what the result will be. I suspect that since the 246 is not grounded, it will have no means to shed the extra voltage induced on the circuits. If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated!

Hello all,
I wasn't sure which topic to post this under, but here is my problem. I want to record a dynamic and condenser mic into my TASCAM 246 Portastudio, but the 246 does not supply phantom power. To solve this, I have connected my recorder into my MBOX via PGM out (rca) to balanced 1/4" into the dual input on the front of the MBOX. The signal enters the computer with no problems, save for a little noise from the ungrounded circuit of the tape recorder. Next, I want to plug in my cheap condenser into my MBOX, but the MBOX does not have phantom power on each individual input. It sends the 48V to ALL channels. This means that 48V WILL be sent into the TASCAM. I'm not sure what the result will be. I suspect that since the 246 is not grounded, it will have no means to shed the extra voltage induced on the circuits. If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated!

I would suggest just getting an external phantom power supply. I have this two channel one ($39):

Nady SMPS-2X Dual Phantom Power Supply | Musician's Friend

And it works great. You can get the one channel for $19, which is all you'd need if you're only running one condenser.

With regards to your other solution, I don't have any experience with that, so I can't really comment.

Good luck!

Back