Tascam 244 Transfer Question

4tracker

I would like to use EZDrummer to lay down some beats, but I want to run them to the 244 to make them more analog sounding. Then take that signal and route it back to the PC.

I tried this last night and got it to work, but it had tremendous noise and pretty low volume. So I am thinking I ran it into the wrong input or output. What is the cleanest way to get it out of the PC and into the 244?

Thanks!

I would like to use EZDrummer to lay down some beats, but I want to run them to the 244 to make them more analog sounding. Then take that signal and route it back to the PC.

I tried this last night and got it to work, but it had tremendous noise and pretty low volume. So I am thinking I ran it into the wrong input or output. What is the cleanest way to get it out of the PC and into the 244?

Thanks!

Yes, I used the out of the PC and ran an RCA into the back of the Tascam. Which input should I use on the tascam? I don't see a "line-in" that takes RCA (they only take 1/4" cables).

Hammer, which of those would I use, the Tape Cue, the Aux, or the Access?

And would I set the track to mic/line-in, off, or tape when recording?

Thank you!

No, I think there's been a misunderstanding.

When running the drum tracks into the 244, you need to come in through the main 1/4" track/channel inputs (use RCA-1/4" adapters if necessary). Use 1 and 2, pan them hard left and right to keep the stereo spread of the drums.

Then when you go out of the 244 and back to the CPU, run out of the RCA line out jacks on the back of the 244.

Thanks, Beagle. I will pick up an adapter and retry. I thought that might be the case because it was the only line-in I could find.

Last edited:
I'm using the line-out (RCA) on the 244 into the 1/8" (via rca to 1/8 adapter) input on the PC. It seems to work well, but let me know if there's a better way.

I guess this wouldn't allow me to pan the drums left and right...

Unless you have a stereo line in on your computer, and mine isn't.

No, I think there's been a misunderstanding.

When running the drum tracks into the 244, you need to come in through the main 1/4" track/channel inputs (use RCA-1/4" adapters if necessary). Use 1 and 2, pan them hard left and right to keep the stereo spread of the drums.

Then when you go out of the 244 and back to the CPU, run out of the RCA line out jacks on the back of the 244.

Oops, my mistake! My first thought when someone complains about noise is that it's better to bypass the gain stage on the 244 and take the computer outs at max volume.

The 1/8" line in on your PC should be stereo. There are usually 2 1/8" inputs on a typical soundcard: one in a mic input (which is not stereo), and the other is a line in, which is usually stereo.

However, you have to make sure that your RCA-to-1/8" adapter is a stereo one. It needs to look like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/american-recorder-technologies-1-8-male-stereo-to-two-rca-female-adapter/339505000081000?source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjgKEAjwwPabBRCXo46OtM_RhGMSJACgCeqAKbng8wUVX_uhvlbpbnVyJnhcyDIurZAEO0lY8cQDEPD_BwE&kwid=productads-plaid^57300754747-sku^339505000081000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^30426433107

With the two bands on the end, and not one. The mono ones (with one band) are by far rarer, but you do see them occasionally.

Beagle, it is that exact one. The gold with 2 lines. So I should be good. I'll just have to figure out how to split it into two tracks in Cubase. I've never had to do that, but I am sure it can't be too hard.

Thank you.

Beagle, it is that exact one. The gold with 2 lines. So I should be good. I'll just have to figure out how to split it into two tracks in Cubase. I've never had to do that, but I am sure it can't be too hard.

Thank you.

I don't use Cubase, so I can't tell you exactly, but yes, I know you can do that. And no, it won't be too hard.

Back