Tascam 242 problem

jonn

Hi, I just got my Tascam 424 mkiii and have encountered a few problems. Firstly, when I turn it on, it makes an awful lot of noise (not sure if that's normal as I've never used one before.) Secondly, I can't seem to get the machine to rewind or rtz. It seems to record fine. When I press play it'll sometimes play for a while and then stop. When I press rtz the counter flashes but nothing happens.

Could it be that I'm just using crappy tapes? Or is it something more problematic?

Any help would be much appreciated.

(It was an ebay purchase- listed as fully working so if it's going to be a big problem to fix I'm going to have to return it.)

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited:
Would help if I got the name of the machine right! It's a Tascam 424.

Sorry about that.

Jon

The 424MKIII is a fairly recent machine so any rubber components (belt, idlers etc...) being the problem is probably not the case. I also doubt it's electronic, unless the previous owner fried it and then lied to condition. I would look elsewhere and the #1 thing I'd look at first is shipping damage to internal components. Do some detective work. How exactly was it packed? The case is pretty rugged plastic so it might not show up there but inside. Look at external signs first, even hairline cracks or signs of impact. That "awful lot of noise" is a clue as to components possibly being out of whack inside, maybe even cracked PCB's. I would carefully open it up and see inside, with good light and magnification glass if needed. In any case, it's misrepresented and I'd seek to get my money refunded. Bad packing is epidemic so be careful.

Back