Tascam 238, Toft ATB16, and buzzing.

After recording a bunch of folks on my 388, I finally convinced a skuddy bar-punk band to record directly to cassette, through my Toft and onto the 238. Yes! It was a blast and a learning experience for sure, but it all sounds pretty cool and gross in the right ways. I DO have an ish'....

It buzzes on playback. If I put the tape in my 488 there's no buzz, so I know it's my setup and not signal that was printed to tape. It's a buzzy buzz, not a hissy buzz. It sounds like a grounding issue of some sort. When I mute channels, it gets quieter as each channel disappears. I can get the buzz to mostly quit if i unplug the cables from the line-ins a little bit, but this is a janky way of doing it that seems like it doesn't even ENTIRELY fix it, and if the cable is just barely in the wrong spot i get weirdo signal loss or nothing at all. More than that, I just want to FIX it so I don't have to half-ass my setup.

The outs of the 238 are going through an RCA-to-1/4" (unbalanced totally) snake that runs into a patch bay, normaled to the line-ins on my Toft. I've tried putting an RCA adapter on the end of a balanced cable to see if that made any difference, but it didn't. I've tried plugging the 238 into the same power conditioner that the Toft is on, and that also made no difference. The buzz ONLY happens when playing back- if the tape is stopped my speakers are silent.

I know there's a billion variables that this could probably be, but I hoped someone could go, "Oh, duh, the Toft inputs will always buzz with a cassette multitracker, you stooge." or something. I'd love to make it so the only extra crap noise coming off of this cassette was tape hiss!

Just found out that taking the outs from the 238 through the patch bay into the mixer on the 388 is just as buzzy, with both balanced and unbalanced cables... If that helps any.

How long are the snake cables? Longer than 10'? Another possibility could be the power supply in the 238 losing a filter cap.

They're only 6ft i believe.

Filter Caps! Great. If that's it, I'm not afraid to solder new ones in if someone can provide me with a service manual or tell me what I'm looking for. My soldering skills are solid, but I'm no electrical engineer.

Anyone? Service manual in PDF? I'll buy one off ebay if I have to, but it seems like one of the friendly folks in the cassette community could possibly help me out.. :)

I would look at the power grounding and distribution within the room and hook it up in such a way that every device that's connected to each other is also being powered by the same power bar and get rid of any power connection that strays away from that.

When I had my home studio, I hooked up one filtered and properly grounded power bar and from that bar, I plugged in my mixer and I added in two additional bars into that first one which fed off to the corners of the room which had my recorders and monitoring rack of gear. Once I followed that regiment, I no longer had any ground loop hums or buzzes. This is basically called a "star grounding system" and if you google that term, you should be able to find many articles on the design and application/benefits.

Cheers! :)

I don't think it's a grounding issue. I borrowed a fairly high dollar power conditioner from work, plugged the 238 and my 488 into it. I took the 238 out of my patch bay entirely, by plugging it straight into the unbalanced line-ins on the 488. Still buzzing. I feel like this is something internal. Still thinking filter caps?

Should I repost this in the Tascam forum here that I just realized existed?

I think what you would need to do is wire snakes that are TRS one side and RCA on the other side. On the tip Right sleeve side wire it as necessary. ON the RCA side leave off the sleeve connection coming from the TRS. Then connect the tip(hot) of the RCA connection to the Tip wire of the TRS. Then Connect the Ring Side of the TRS to the Ground side of the RCA. This would repeat itself for all 16 channels, both in and out connections of the Tascam. This is the best way to wire it.

Good catch!

The Line Ins on the Toft are Balanced (TRS), and the 238 is all unbalanced.
Miswired connections or less than optimal wiring between the two would produce the buzz.
:spank::eek:;)

I think the OP figured it out after almost a couple of years now, seeing how he posted this thread back in Feb 2012........ :)

Back