Tascam 234 Story...

yeah, i can't seem to find the rc-170 it needs and the digital remote i have for it isn't working and i'm still trying to get ahold of someone to fix it as i've checked all i can , thanks

Well the *tick*...*tick*...*tick* is only in the headphone amp circuit...monitor everywhere else and everything is quiet...like, really quiet. Like "I'm surprised" quiet. The headphone amp is the period typical dual 386 opamp circuit...nnnnnnnoisy. Oh well...mine has a built-in metronome too only it is limited to one tempo...

I'm really thinking this thing hasn't seen much use...the RCA jacks look like they had their typical layer of oxidation on them, but when I plug anything into them and then unplug it the jack looks bright and shiny new...

There's a secondary frame inside the face to which all the pots and switches on the right of the face mount, as well as the counter...tried to get that out to replace some of those bent pots but it will take a little more doing so I let it go for the night.

My respect and appreciation for the 234 grows every time I mess with it...

Wow, I m so sorry to see such a good machine get busted up so bad. I purchased the same machine off of Ebay. The seller was fantastic with the shipping and follow up. Hey, I had to put my in the shop for service. Here is a number you can call, they did a great job on fixing my machine. You can send it to them. let them give it a run through to see what it will take and cost to get it back up and running if you are looking to keep it. Its a really good machine. Ph# 302.999.8613

Hi Sweetbeats, did you found out what the 'tick''tick '.......was?
I have the same and wandered if you knew....

No I don't think I did...my immediate thought was that it had disappeared without any known reason, but I'd have to hook things up to see. The 234 is quite buried at the moment. I'll have to check into that but it may be awhile.

Awhile indeed...over three years later...let's see if I can remember what's even in these boxes...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yup...there they are...three Tascam 234s. One that got busted up in shipping, one that I bought as a parts machine, and then a surprise one I got later for $30 with an RC-71 remote. It's coming back to me. My intention was to make one good deck outta the three.

It's time...234 fracas...

image.jpg

Well, it's "done" for now, at least as much as I'm going to do to it for the time being.

This means I took the best of the guts and cosmetics from the three machines and made one "good" one.

The latest one I purchased (the $30 one that came with the RC-71) was overall in the best operational and cosmetic shape, so that became the focus and the other two donors to address issues such as:

• some less than desirable cosmetic flaws
• a bent pitch control pot shaft
• a broken output level pot shaft
• a wobbly capstan pulley
• a bad channel on the mic input board
• a burned out VU meter lamp

Other things I did included replacing the belts and the pinch roller.

Here's that tweaked pitch control pot shaft...it's nice having lots of spares...just swapped in the one good pitch control assembly from another machine to fix that problem:

image.jpg

And the busted output level pot shaft...same tactic here...I just grabbed the entire I/O control/counter assembly from one of the other machines:

image.jpg

Dishes are done! :) the best of the best cosmetics scrubbed and ready for reassembly:

image.jpg

New pinch roller and belts installed on the transport assembly...and the capstan motor pulley was wobbly so I just traded out the entire motor and bracket with one that was true:

image.jpg

And back in it goes along with shiny transport control and cassette bay cover:

image.jpg

After flushing the pots, cleaning out the cabinet interior as best I could and putting everything back together it looked like this:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Did a full functional test of every feature and it's 100%. Later I cleaned up the remote and, since I have multiples of everything decided to experiment on one of the mic input boards...recapped 2 channels and replaced the 4558 opamp with a socketed 2134. Going back and forth I can hear a difference. It's subtle considering it's basically one amp stage out of everything the signal goes through to get to the headphones, and nothing else has been recapped or anything including the power supply, but the modified mic inputs sound more present and clear...maybe a little more "alive". Again, subtle, but worth the 30 minutes to find the parts and swap them out.

image.jpg

Toying with the idea of recapping at least the power supply, and maybe trying my hand at some of the calibration procedures though I don't have a test tape. I've always wondered what would happen with a full recap and some additional select opamp changes...don't know if I'll ever do that. It works you know? And as far as I'm concerned the 234 is the bomb of 4-track cassette multitrack machines. Simple signal path, but can be used standalone with the onboard 4 x 2 cue mixer. Handy. And sounds really nice.

You guys are sweet. :D

I forgot to mention earlier this shameless plug:

If you are looking for spares for your 234, I might just have some. :p

You guys are sweet. :D

I forgot to mention earlier this shameless plug:

If you are looking for spares for your 234, I might just have some. :p

Hey! I'll keep that in mind ha. I acquired a Tascam 234 recently in good working order. What a great machine!

Do you find you need a mixer, or is the pan/level sufficient? I have a broken MT4X and a really really broken 144. Is it possible to use the mixing capabilities of these machines with the 234?

Also, if you run your 234 to computer, how do you do it? I'm confused about this issue. If you have time to explain, leave no detail out, you'd be surprised how much help I need! :confused: There being no master fader, it can't be normal to mix everything really really low so that the soundcard can handle it can it? What kind of soundcard do you use? I don't know what I'm doing ha! Cheers on the 234!

You can use any external mixer with the 234.

Regarding your interface question with the computer, maybe a post on the Digital Recording & Computers forum?

If you want to just mix to the computer then any 2-channel interface will work. If you want to transfer the 4 tracks to the computer then you need an interface with at least 4 inputs.

You can use any external mixer with the 234.

Regarding your interface question with the computer, maybe a post on the Digital Recording & Computers forum?

If you want to just mix to the computer then any 2-channel interface will work. If you want to transfer the 4 tracks to the computer then you need an interface with at least 4 inputs.

Thanks for the reply! Good to know

So it's a lightly overcast day today and the living room has good big windows. Snapped some additional shots of the 234.

Jeff (Ghost), I took a lot more than these three...and used the HDR function on the iPhone...several different angles and perspectives, several shots each since I have no way to mount the iPhone and my damn heart beats so strong when I'm trying to hold still!!

Anyway, in the next day or so I'll upload all the untouched pics and PM you a link.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back