Tascam 1800

offlimits

So I finally got some things to work. I am using a Tascam 1800 running it to Cakewalk 2.0 using a drum machine, two guitars and two mics trying to record. Two things: one is that I can't seem to boost up the levels of anything high enough to record properly. It just seems to want to stay at mid level. I checked the recording volume level in the control panel section of the computer and it seems to be fine. I've hooked up everything to a Behringer mixer and don't have the problem but I want to use this Tascam. One last thing, the Tascam is supposed to record on at least 4 if not 8 seperate tracks. Thats the reason I bought it and it is supposed to do that but so far its not. It just records everything together on as many tracks as you select. It also came with Cubase LE 5 which so far I haven't been able to load properly on any of three computers. Thats another story. Any advice would be helpful. Tascams support phone lines are down today for some reason.

Before I start this post, let me say that the only thing I have in common with your setup is that I too, have the US1800. I don't know what you've already tried or how long you've been having this issue for, so some of the ideas I'm about to suggest may seem pretty basic.

Your level issue: Does this happen only when recording, or also when you're playing back? Are your monitors of the active variety? If so, check to make sure their volume is up. The US1800 has a knob that is labelled "input/computer" try turning that in either direction. It determines where the main outs and phones are getting their sound from.

Multi-tracking: The US1800 can record all 16 tracks simultaneously. The most I've so far done is 11. The DAW I use is REAPER (PC) but I imagine all DAWs have a similar setup under the hood. Check your settings/preferences and make sure that the range of all your ins and outs go from input 1 to input 16 and output 1 to output 4. You may also find these options directly on the armed track that you're trying to record. In REAPER, I set the range in my settings/preferences and on each track, I arm it according to whichever input I have a mic or instrument plugged into.

I hope that made sense. You'll need to provide more information, if you'd like advice that's a little more specific to your setup. Have you tried posting in the Tascam forums here or the official one?

The levels are the same either recording or playback and they are the active kind. I tried the input/computer knob on the Tascam and it doesn't change anything. Next time I get down there I will mess with the range settings you mentioned. I'll get this working, it has been a challenge so far. I'll give it all another try next time I have time and get back to you.

Sounds like you are not selecting the appropriate inputs from the 1800, to each of your recording tracks.

I am also curious as to what you consider "high enough to record properly". -18Dbfs is adequate. Which looks like "mid level" in a digital recording meter.

Cubase installation can be a bitch for those who have never done it.

To install, you will need to download the latest version of eLicenser before attempting anything involving license of a Cubase product. Elicenser will give you a number (actually a bunch of numbers separated by a - then more numbers. Copy it. From there, you need to register your product at steinberg.net. This is where you will get the activation code to enable your LE5, by entering the number that elicenser gives you for the Cubase product. Yes it is a pain in the ass. But it is necessary. Once you get the activation key, you go back to elicenser and input the key, and download your license. At least, I am pretty sure this is how it's done. It has been a while.

You will now have use of the product if my memory serves me correctly. It has been a while since I have dealt with the 'soft license' crap.

If this does not work for you, get back to me, and I will make sure I get you straight. :)

Oh, and Tascam will be of no help for setting up/registering Cubase. That is what Steinberg support will help with. And they usually reply within 24 hours. But they will tell you the same thing the instructions on the site will. Just more confusing. lol!

Trust me, once you understand the terminology, and the need to go back and forth once between elicenser and steinberg, it will make sense. Tho yes, a pain in the ass.......

Back