Tascam 133??

hebjam

I just won this on ebay...... so what did I bid on? :)
Is it 3 seperate tracks? Is the quality better than a low end 4 track?
I bought mainly to get some tape sound before the computer
(TL Audio 2051/ Lynx Audio card/ Cubase Vst 32/ 5.1)

The 133 is a stereo plus cue or time-code track recorder. It maintains the same track width as a standard consumer tape deck but offers a higher speed option to improve on the frequency response for mastering purposes.

It's really a bit of an oddball unit and a bit of throw-back to the days of 3 track reel to reel units in the 1950's where a singer could come in an add a vocal part to an already present stereo recording. I suppose it could come in handy for radio work where an announcer's track is needed for different background music and effects to put together spots for advertisers and I'm sure TASCAM originally aimed the 133 at that segment of the market.

The 133 is every bit a professional machine though; built very solidly and great sounding if maintained so I am sure you will enjoy owning and using it.

Cheers! :)

I got it today and it is a damn fine unit. Great sound/ quality.
What do you mean by time code? Midi? Could i send midi from the computer to it to sync up?

Well, all is great except it doesnt seem to record. I have sound going in and i hear it but when i play back there is always silence where i recorded. Is this the record head?

hebjam said:
I got it today and it is a damn fine unit. Great sound/ quality.
What do you mean by time code? Midi? Could i send midi from the computer to it to sync up?

If it can record a timecode, then yes. You can get a box (I use the Philip Rees TS-1) that converts the timecode into a MIDI signal which you can use to control the computer, if your software can slave to a MTC sync signal.

You probably can't get the deck to be controlled by the computer, though. Not unless there is an accessory2 port, and even then you'd need a specific Tascam sync unit (ES5x/MMC100) which can control a compatible Tascam recorder.

hebjam said:
I just won this on ebay...... so what did I bid on? :)
Is it 3 seperate tracks? Is the quality better than a low end 4 track?
I bought mainly to get some tape sound before the computer
(TL Audio 2051/ Lynx Audio card/ Cubase Vst 32/ 5.1)

Wow! Is it easy to "win" something on eBay? I always wanted to try eBay but I was told that I would be a fool to send money to a stranger. But, I see you made out like a bandit! I love the 133 and I dream about it everyday.

It is a 4-track with a pretty powerful mixer attached. I want one bad but I have to cut a few more lawns to get mine!

Good find!

This one is in new condition and really a pro piece. Beautiful tranport etc...
BUT ,as i stated , i cant seem to get a recorded signal to play back. I record and all i get are silent patches....
I have a Tascam porta 05 here.
Wondering if i should swap the record head with it? Are they the same?

hebjam said:
This one is in new condition and really a pro piece. Beautiful tranport etc...
BUT ,as i stated , i cant seem to get a recorded signal to play back. I record and all i get are silent patches....
I have a Tascam porta 05 here.
Wondering if i should swap the record head with it? Are they the same?
Don't start swapping heads! :eek:

Check the owner's manual first to make 100% sure that you are operating the unit properly in terms of arming the correct tracks, selecting the correct input, adjusting the levels correctly for the said input, using the correct tape formulation, ensuring that the heads are 100% clean and demagnetized prior to doing a recording...

If after all that, it still doesn't work as suspected, then get an estimate from a qualified service center. The chances of it being the head are about as good as winning the lottery.

Cheers! :)

Those XLR's on the back are +4 Balanced Line In's,...

not mic inputs.

Maybe use your Porta 05 to develop a verifed good signal, then feed the signal from the Porta 05 mixer section to the 133, through the RCA-Line-In's.

The 1/4" Mic Inputs on the front panel would be the appropriate place to plug a mic, and has the required preamp stage. ;)

Quantagee said:
Wow! Is it easy to "win" something on eBay? I always wanted to try eBay but I was told that I would be a fool to send money to a stranger. But, I see you made out like a bandit! I love the 133 and I dream about it everyday.

It is a 4-track with a pretty powerful mixer attached. I want one bad but I have to cut a few more lawns to get mine!

Good find!
Sorry little buddy, but it IS a three track, and there is NO mixer attached.

There are no XLR inputs, only RCA or two quater inch in front. I tried both my mic into my TL Audio tube preamp into the 1/4" and a cd playing into the rca's . I monitered the levels to make sure it was hot enough and still, I only get dead silence when i play back! It came without the manual so....
I am armig by pressing the records for both channels then the record and play buttons. All seems well but no go...

monty said:
Sorry little buddy, but it IS a three track, and there is NO mixer attached.

Wow! I was wrong. You are right Monty. This must be the recorder that the Beatles used because it only has three tracks because Paul was afraid to have his own track. Eneryone was right on this one.

Good Find!

Back