TASCAM 133 - Best way to replace belt???

Ritzy

Registered (Ab)User
Ok, so I just scored a TASCAM 133 cassette deck off ebay for around $30 Australian.

I got it cheaply because it was sold as having a problem: that being that the play button wouldn't stay engaged. Anyway, as I had expected, it turns out the only problem with the thing is a broken belt (as a side note, I've scored some cool TASCAM stuff cheaply because it was sold as "not working", when the only problem was perished/broken belts ;) ).

Anyway, cutting back to the chase... the belt which needs replacing is the large, flat, wide one which connects the play motor with the large, cast-metal flywheel. The only problem is, this thing is so heavily engineered that it looks like access to the problem area will pose a bit of a problem. From what I can tell, it looks like I'm going to have to take apart the cassette mechanism to get a new belt on.

I'm wondering, does anyone out there have any experience with re-belting a 133 or similar TASCAM deck (I'm assuming the 112, 234, 238 all utilise the same tape mechanics)? Are there any "tricks" to it? Any "best way" to dissect this beast?

Thanks guys! :)

Ok, so it turns out taking the thing apart wasn't that big of a deal after all...
Getting the new belt on and everything back together was a bit finicky though, but it's all done now. I've cleaned everything and put it back together and everything "works" technically, but there is one new problem...

It plays tapes, but plays them a little bit too quickly. It does this when set to both on normal speed and double speed respectively. Any ideas what could be causing this?

All sorted!

I opened her up again and it seems the belt rode up on the flange of the wheel connected to the motor's shaft, causing the play speed to do funny things. I better aligned the belt-drive system and it's been working perfectly since.

Back