Tascam 122

rickb

reelin' thru the years
Anyone have a .pdf service manual for a Tascam 122 cassette. Got one for free and think it just needs a capstain belt. Haven't opened it up yet nor have worked on any of the Tascam cassettes. I've got several .pdf's on different R2R's. If someone needs and lets me know what R2R they have, I'll look to see if I have that SM. Thanks!

Oh yeah. My 38 was a breeze. Unless you do a full disassemble of the back portion of the transport (which I didn't do BTW), it's a delicate surgical procedure to get the belt in and around the pulleys, and then attaching the spring (which, at the moment, can't remember what it went to, just that it was attached to a string and had to wind around something) to the correct spot. I've got some pictures of the inside of it. Let me scour the hard drives and I'll post 'em up to give you an idea.;)

Thaks JJ. I've never done a cassette. Opened up the 122 and the capstain belt is surely shot. I'll be looking at gettng a kit of all the rubbers I see on evilB and figuring the easiest wat to get it done. It's more of the challenge of bringing it back to life than the necessity, but it's super clean and the guy who gave it to me said it's free as long as you try to get it going again. Kind of reminds me of an X-7 R2R that had a stuck tape lifter. I damn near had to tear the whole thing down to get the lifter base assembly out to disassemble and clean up. This all makes the modularity and ease of sevicing my 38, 22-2 and 22-4 much appreciated.

I just did the capstan belt on a tascam 112. Maybe a 2-3 hour job. Had to gut the thing be able to get the new belt on. I can see why it costs a fortune to get these repaired by a shop tech.

Unless you do a full disassemble of the back portion of the transport (which I didn't do BTW), it's a delicate surgical procedure to get the belt in and around the pulleys, and then attaching the spring (which, at the moment, can't remember what it went to, just that it was attached to a string and had to wind around something) to the correct spot.

I just did the capstan belt on a tascam 112. Maybe a 2-3 hour job. Had to gut the thing be able to get the new belt on.

Seems the 112 and 122 are of the same design. techno...I'm going to try JJ's approach to try and minimize dis-assembly. JJ, looks like the spring/string you encountered was the cassette door eject.

Kind of neat looking into the guts of one of these for the first time, but a pain to service. Will do my best to get there. Looks like Tascam has the RC-90 specified as the remote. RC-71 works on it from hooking it up last night. For sure RC-71 works on a 38, 22-4 and X-7. I beginning to believe the RC-71 and RC-90 are basically the same, and thinking they will both work on these and the 32, 34, X-7R and the X-10's, and probably others as well.

Back