Tascam 122 mk II

Bobby Darko

I was just given a tascam 122 mkII, but it's not spinning like it should. It makes a hard rattling sound when play is pressed and only moves slowly. I gues it's the belts?

This would be the ideal mixdown machine for me in my all cassette based studio (well except for the cd burner I am mixing down to).

I would be very happy to get a manual in pdf, does anyone here have it?

It looks like a very proffessional machine, with nice VU meters and tons of options. Do you guys like dolby B or C when mixing down to cassette by the way. HOpe you can help, cuz there's not that much info on the net about it.

Thanks guys!:)

Belt & tires. Sounds like automotive repair.

If the belt is old or worn out it would cause a slow or erratic playback.

The ratcheting sound might be from the FF/RW mechanism "tires" that may have become sticky or adhered to the hubs as it rotates. Any hard back pressure resistance on the FF/RW clutch mech's rotation might cause the gears to chatter. Alternately, a very sticky tire might cause a "snapping" sound as the sucking sound of deteriorated rubber might make as it very stick-ily or unevenly rotates the hub. Similarly, a clutch-tire that has a detent would make a noise as it rotates against the hubs. Several things can go wrong in there, all based on rubber parts. Any loss of takeup tension, excessive wow & flutter or eating of tapes would be a bad sign to watch for in the case of the clutch (tires). Just a tip or 2.

The FF/RW tires replacement is a bit more daunting of a repair job than the belt, but at the very least it should be inspected when you go in deep.:eek:;)

Last edited:
If the belt is old or worn out it would cause a slow or erratic playback.

The ratcheting sound might be from the FF/RW mechanism "tires" that may have become sticky or adhered to the hubs as it rotates. Any hard back pressure resistance on the FF/RW clutch mech's rotation might cause the gears to chatter. Alternately, a very sticky tire might cause a "snapping" sound as the sucking sound of deteriorated rubber might make as it very stick-ily or unevenly rotates the hub. Similarly, a clutch-tire that has a detent would make a noise as it rotates against the hubs. Several things can go wrong in there, all based on rubber parts. Any loss of takeup tension, excessive wow & flutter or eating of tapes would be a bad sign to watch for in the case of the clutch (tires). Just a tip or 2.

The FF/RW tires replacement is a bit more daunting of a repair job than the belt, but at the very least it should be inspected when you go in deep.:eek:;)

What Dave said.

I've had this sort of clatter sound on decks that have been in storage for a couple years or more. A dent forms in the rubber idler tire where it rests against the motor shaft. The idler tire then hardens, so it causes rumble due to the dip in the surface.

As for noise reduction, I generally like Dolby C on master cassette, even preferring it to professional Dolby A-Type on open-reel.

:)

As for noise reduction, I generally like Dolby C on master cassette, even preferring it to professional Dolby A-Type on open-reel.

:)

dbx! Oh wait, we're talking Dolby.:o:p I've had good luck with Dolby C. It works well when played back on a deck which only has Dolby B.;)

If you don't have to tear it all the way down to get the belts on (at least), I found that using one of those metal twist ties (you know the ones, garbage bags, bread, etc.) to be very handy. I just formed a small hook at one end and used it to guide the belt over the pulleys. I'll see if I can dig up a photo of the innards of the deck to give you an idea.

that would be great johnny, thanks bro

Well crap, I got to looking around the hard drive(s) for the photos, but couldn't locate them. I know I took 2 or 3 of the inside. I always take photos when I pop the cover on something. I may have attached them to an email at one time. I'll find them for sure over the weekend though.

Back