Tascac A-3440 Reel To Reel

beyond_therapy

has anybody used one of this beasts, for home demos. i was recording a home demo for a friend of mine last week and thought i would bring it out, most times i use my yamah mt4x but i thought i would like to see what this machine could do at 15ips. F*"?> me i made up insert lines from there mixer to each track, and set the recording levels on the tascam, the only thing i'm dark on was that i only had 7inch reels, 1200ft so i was only getting 3 songs per reel, when i played back the tapes at home through my mixing board i was very happy with the sound on tape, it killed the sound on any recordings i've done on the yamaha, my freinds acoustic trio are so happy with the sound they have asked me to record them again, so i'm now convinced the the tascam was the best $250aus i ever spent, the only thihg is it's a bit heavy to be putting in and out of the car, also it does not have Dbx, but i can live without it.

Well good for you. I've always seen good reviews of the a-3440.

No doubt, 1/4" tape @15ips will blow away a cassette 4-tracker on sound quality. If you get the hub adapters, you may use 10.5" reels [2500'], and get longer recording time.

You can get some great deals on used analog equipment, these days.

Yea,they are pretty cool.I have a teac 2340 I found awhile back at a pawn shop in mint condition for $70.00 and love to record stuff on it.It will only run at 7 1/2 ips max,but still sounds pretty cool.I am going to go out and do some live recording with it and my little 1202 mackie just for fun on the 28th.Hope to have some good live stuff to post from it.

recorded again on this machine i now don't care about people looking at me at gigs thinking what the f**k is that thing because the proof is in the sound, on the play back. alot of friends i have been recording for look at it a say what rubbish dump did you get that from.......lol but when they here the end results they shut there traps quick and ask if i would mind recording more for them...most people,have never seen one but now wish they had one. this is sad they only have seen porta, 4 tracks cas/format and not the semi pro models of the 70's and early 80's...plus the tape is still quite cheap, i brought a 2400ft pandcake for $20aus.
and 1200ft 7inch for $14aus

Back