Tapehead goes digital...sort of

Tapehead

Well I actually got to play with a VS1680 over the last few days. My neighbor has temporary use of one so we played with it and actually got a pretty decent result out of it. We'll post it up here in the next week or two and of course would welcome feedback.

But lordy the thing is not clear to operate. I pity anyone who has no recording experience or knowledge and ends up with one of these on his fish-cutting bench. The documentation is very poor--hard to find anything. Lots of non-standard recording terminology. Lousy index. Poor graphics. C'mon Roland get with it.

Also, one thing that seemed odd--for a 24 bit processor there sure isn't a lot of headroom in the channel paths. Pretty easy to clip. Also, a moody machine. Works better on Monday than Friday.

The effects that I played with were good--nice clean, full reverbs. I'd keep those. And very highly editable. Fully parametric EQs are also a very nice feature on a device at this price. There is no need for a recording to sound brittle or bright if the humanoid at the business end of the mixer knows his E's and Q's.

The Roland engineers could learn a lot from Line6 Engineers: the more you can connect with familiar (analog) interface principles (at least for the next few years while we make the transition) the better. I think.

Welcome to the other side my friend.
I came from a2 track RR, 4track,8track,over on a VS880 and moved up to the VS1680.
Your comment on newbie recordists is correct. They should not be starting at this level in my opinion. The learning curve is tremendous.
That's why half the people in these pages have questions in my opinion.
Anyway........

Yes the manual is lacking human interface, and I hate to say it, english.

But all that in a briefcase dimension. You have to admit.

Also the pres are a little brittle on all stand alone units I think. At least in that price range. I use the Envoice by mindprint. Others use other preamps.

Also, do you know that 0db is crash and burn on a digital recorder? You can't overshoot it without horrid distortion. Your average levels in dig are -12 area. That gives enough room for spikes in the recorded material. Check the meters.

Welcome to digital. You'll soon figure it out that you want it to sound analog.

[This message has been edited by Ears (edited 06-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ears (edited 06-23-2000).]

I'm well aware of digital clipping at 0db--I have numerous digital outboard devices in my studio--but we had problems at around -4 db. This was on playback. The problem cleared up either by nicking down the fader, or reducing boost on the EQ. However, due to my unfamiliarity with the machine there is a very distinct possibility that I was doing something wrong somewhere else...

Just read your post again Ears--you're saying you usually operate around -12. So that was my problem--analog brain in a digital world. As I'm sure you recall from your analog days, I'm used to hitting everything as hard as I can without bending needles. By the way I'm not giving up tape just yet--I can't afford all these new toys...but I did enjoy playing with the VS and was quite amazed at how much they wrap up in one box.

It's true, Tapehead. The digital clip level takes some getting used to in the (quite scary) learning curve. I've a vs 840, and it's much simpler to use than a vs 880 or 1680.
Notice I didn't say easy.

I'm going back and replacing lots of tracks right now. Funny how inexperience can make scratch tracks out of hours of hard work.
I'd like to upgrade to a 1680, but the learning curve on that baby is pretty steep!
Guess I'm fine for now, I need better mics anyway...
------------
wawazzat?
the thread killer

Yeah you need the room to slam. I used to ride the waves too.

Here's an idea man.
Since I am still a fan of analog, and if I was buying today, I would keep my analog and go to one of those BR8 boss units. $800.00 The learning curve is really easy and you get the best of both worlds. The biggest improvement I have found going to the VS's is time. If you are recording a client, you don't have to wait to rewind, retake, and punch in. All instant, all non destructive. It took me a while to figure that out.

[This message has been edited by Ears (edited 06-24-2000).]

Howdy Ho Neighbor!
I'm the neighbor who borrowed the VS1680 for a few weeks. I think between myself and some
serious help from Tapehead we managed to get a pretty good demo out of the thing.
I'm not quite ready to buy one, but it sure is cool what they pack in the box, but my brain still hurts from the learning curve.
My next goal is to demo another of my songs
on a Fostex A8 tape unit I have but haven't really put time into. (Hey neighbor, can I borrow your bass next week?)
Still, it beat the tar out of having a PC
crash every time you try to do any work!
Here is a link to the demo (I also posted to the mp3 topic area..) www.geocities.com/gordwait
Critiques, comments of all sorts welcome.
Except maybe the comments about hedgehogs.
(sorry - too much monty python in my life.)
Cheers eh?
Gord Wait

Back