Tape To USB? Tapes Digital Conversion....

thabeatnut

Just went on ionaudio.com, and I looked up the Mixmeister U RECORD
USB Audio Interface....It was for about $49 bucks...and I believe it even came with recording software....Iam trying to convert my cassette tapes to digital, mp3 or wav files, I want to burn them to cd...Iam a bit new to this, I have a tape deck, m audio fast track pro interface, and Im using Pro Tools M Powered 7.....I need recommendations or any info on setup, that would seriously be appreciated...Iam a bit new at this....Are usb interface or adapters the way to go???? About the Ion usb interface....I found out that theres one called the Behringer UCA202 Usb interface...., I didnt even know about it....Dunno which one to go for, or if theres a way to do it, with my m audio fast track....Can someone please lend me support or help with any recommendations, or advice...??? Thanks...Heres my email if anyone has a solution...up...drakemsc@msn.com..

I use my mobile pre for this type of stuff. It's probably the only reason I still have one. Tape players headphone out via double male monitor cable (computer soundcard to LCD). Just set the player to volume 1 to 2 (of 10). And the gain knob on the USB device just a hair above minimum.

I use audacity and play a short bit through to fine tune the levels for a given tape. Then I play through again for the actual recording. You most likely loose some quality, but I mainly use it to transcribe judging tapes for a local marching arts performance group. And for that it's very functional. There are more specialized options, but you can pick up a mobile pre on craigslist for $80-$120. And since you already have the tape player...

I often use a little Beri unit - quite cheap & has RCA stereo IN & out as well as the USB & h/phone socket.
I prefer to use my regular set up which involves an old, but good, stereo reciver amp hooked up to my PC. I run a ttable through the amps phono pre and the tape into the tape or aux section.
releable, easy to set up & monitor.
The software is very important. You ought to get Waverepair - it is properly set up to record & restore - can deal with hiss, background noise & recorded vinyl artifacts as well as sep. tracks etc. HIGHLY recommended software.

Back