Tape thicknesses?

Ritzy

Registered (Ab)User
I recently purchased a tape echo unit, and am going to be splicing my own tape loops for it. I figure, given the nature of this sort of device, that my best bet would be to use the thickest tape possible in order to stand up to the rigours of use. That being, the same little loop gets used over and over and over and... (you get the point). Plus, there's extra abuse in the form of "hands on" manipulation of the tape as it spins, so I want to use the tape that is least prone to breaking or stretching.

Anyway, does anyone know the thicknesses of the various tape types out there? Ampex 406, 457, etc., BASF-types, and so on and so forth...

:)

As far as I know there are two thicknesses. Ampex 457 and clones are 1 mil, 456 and clones are 1.5 mil.

I've never been sure what mil means, but it must be a very small measurement.

You'll want to use whatever thickness the manufacturer of your tape echo machine recommends. Tape that is too thick can wear out the heads faster.

-MD

Thanks for the replies guys. The machine is question is also a Watkins Copicat, and it turns out it wants "lubricated tape". I see plenty of auctions on ebay for 1/4 inch Scotch/3M stuff that's labelled on the packaging as "Silicon Lubricated". Any ideas if this is going down the right path?

Back