Tape Op v. this BBS

C. Lewis

Wow: Larry Crane's mag did a really nice article on rebiasing and head maintenance. Getting back to Kristian's comment on how little activity goes on here in the analog neighborhood, could it be that (for most of us) the _sources_ of our information are analog, too? The same things that make me want to use my reel-to-reel instead of my Mac (romantic allegiance to obsolete technolgies?) also make me prefer reading paper rather than SVGA monitors.

Yo Lewis of St. Louis:

Analog belongs to and is part of everyone who records, no matter what.

When you listen to it on the speakers, IT'S ANALOG; when you process the music on a digital device, it's digital.

Digital is processing sound; analog is hearing sound; even if you have digital speakers, the sound that is processed is heard via analog.

We humans can't hear zeros and ones; [yet] however, we can hear decibles which are ANALOG.

If I'm wrong, may the pyramids tumble or the rockies crumble or Elvis stumble.

Green Hornet

Aligning Heads (Article Name)?

Okay so what was the title of the article and what was the magazine that featured the article.

I just picked up a 4 track TEAC Reel to Reel. I cleaned the capstans, heads, etc. But I don't have the knowledge for aligning the heads. I am trying to set up a small home studio.

"Tape Op" Nov/Dec 2000 issue: "An Intro to Analog Tape Deck Calibration Fun," pp. 42-45.

The magazine is available for free at circulation@tapeop.com or go to the tapeop.com website.

Well, most "analog" discussions go on in other forums. 4-track and 1/4" 8-track questions are abundant in the Fostex and Tascam forums. And besides, this forum has no moderator. ;) But I guess that in th future with more and more stuf being digital, more and more of the analog questions will end up here...

I'm not an analog freak, but the only digital stuff I have is my Microverbs. I guess thats what happens when you bought most of your stuff during the 80's, and then discover that you find HD recording to be a struggle. I'm gonna stay mostly analog for quite some time I think. Except for reverbs, then. Hmmm. I guess I COULD get my but out of the wagon and try making that plate reverb. :)

Back