Tape Op Mic

i built a bunch of those a few years ago. the capsules are so cheap i bought random ones just to experiment. sorry no part #'s though. they sound great. i think there was a mistake in the + and - battery connection in the diagram, so watch out for that.

This has caught my attention, and I really like the idea!

I don't like the idea of a power supply, so I may modify the circuit to allow the use of phantom power instead.

The capsules certainly have a good frequency response...

I've used both the Panasonic WM-61A and JLI equivalent capsule with great results. I also used a Transsound TSF-3105A 3mm capsule which gave interesting results. Since the TSF-3105A is only 3mm in diameter, you have to be very careful when soldering the cable leads on the capsule. I got lucky on the first capsule, then ruined a couple before going over to a friend's shop to use his fine-point soldering iron and illuminated magnifier to solder a few more capsules. It also helped when I used 28 guage solder which melts faster. I used both 1.7mm and 2.4mm lavalier mic cable and it's really neat with the 2.4mm cable. Since the capsule is almost the same diameter as the cable, it does not look like there is anything at the end of the cable.

In addition to using heatshrink tubing, I also but a small dab of epoxy over the leads, being very careful not to get any on the front end of the capsule. It's easy to do on the 6mm capsules like the WM-61A because you can make a masking tape collar and fill in the epoxy. With the 3mm capsule, I just drip the epoxy on with a toothpick an lay the capsule sideways on some wax paper so the epoxy does not get on the front of the capsule. The epoxy also seals the back of the capsule which is a recommend practice in building mics of this type.

I'm close to puttting up a few sound clips using these mics and a few mics from Chance's group buy shortly. I'll post a thread with a link when I'm done.

My friend built me a few of these (thank you Kelly). To my ears they are VERY omni. If you record in a garage like I do, you will definitely hear the limitations of your room's sound.

But, if you were in a good room, I think these things would be a pretty amazing bang for your buck. The top end gets a little fizzy. The clarity and detail and wide representation of frequency range are strengths.

All that said, I never use the things (though I'm thankful to their builder). It's just that I've got options now that I like better. :)

Back