Tape machine actually increasing dynamic range?

leddy

I mentioned that I purchased a Nagra IV-S. I'm running it through a bunch of tests and getting familliar with it. Play around with different tapes, speeds, etc. I record a tune from a digital file into it and record the repro head back to digital and compare the files. The digital file peaks at 0db, so I normalize the version from tape to 0db as well. Listening back, the file from tape is more quiet. I check the RMS levels of the tunes, and sure enough the tape version is about 3-4 db softer.

Now with my Tascam decks, that would always be the other way around. I double-checked everything I did. The recording from the Nagra sounds punchier than the original file, though less loud. How can this be?

The Nagra has a special EQ curve available (Nagra Master), but I was running at 7.5 IPS using the regular NAB setting. There is a built in limiter, but it was off. I've heard the is some anti-distortion circuit in the Nagra, but I assumed that was part of the Nagra Master setting.

Anyone know what could be going on? It's sounds great, but strikes me as odd that it behaves the opposite way you'd expect. I may have to seek out some folks that really know Nagras.

Without hearing what you're hearing, it's tough to assess your characterization of "punchier". Perhaps its the bass bump to the original digital file that's giving you that impression? The level differences are simply a matter of calibration.

If it sounds better on tape then it did before, then its all good, right?

Cheers! :)

Back