Tape editing. What a pita!

westgate

ɹǝʎɐld ɹǝpuǝ&#6
analog r2r tape editing. What a pita!
back as far as '78 til '90 i recorded a lot of the bands i was in with my akai 4 tracker. if live music or practice sessions, etc, i'd fill a whole tape or 2.

but with original music i'd record 1 song, once in a while 2 or 3, on a 1200/1800 ft reel and that was it.
the next session i'd open up a fresh reel.
mostly using the four tracks (quad, if you will). some stereo mixdowns.

so now i've got maybe 25 or so 7" reels of maxell udxl whatever and today decided to consolidate a bunch of those songs on to as few reels as possible.
just finished putting the songs on 5 reels down to 3 using the gx230d as i don't want to wear out the good decks.
but it was cut, splice, figure where you are, ff/rw/ff/rw, cut, splice, eff it up, do it again, ff/rw/ff/rw, over and over til i got it right, blah, blah, blah....
they still sound great tho!

so now i'm exhausted. that's hard work, mentally anyway. too much strain on the brain.

~20 reels to go.

Last edited:
sqeezing the tube, mixing oil with oil, dipping, tapping, wiping, swinging, looking, closing eyes, opening eyes, sqeezing, mixing, dipping, swinging, wiping, dipping, brushing, wiping, closing, opening, looking, sqeezing, wiping, mixing, tapping, brushing, scratching, dipping, wiping, closing, wiping, sweating, spitting, sqeezing, dipping, wiping, mixing.... blah blah blah blah :p

Pain in the neck, big mess and nobody cares.
You do it for yourself and for no other reason but simly because you can not not to.
Word is Virus

:D :D :D

Attachments

• artist.jpg
    artist.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 65
"Pain in the neck, big mess and nobody cares.
You do it for yourself and for no other reason but simly because you can not not to."
============================================================
what he said! :D

I may be crazy but I love cutting tape. Maybe its because I've never done it any other way.

So I see I'm not the only crossthread-head here.

QuadraphonicQuad forums, Lathe Troller forums, Reel to reel forums, LP forums, ad infinitum.

I always enjoyed cutting tape in the past also. I was hired to do a live concert recording of Edwin Hawkins many years ago. At one point in the middle of "Oh Happy Day" the live sound guy goofed and got feedback through the PA system, which, of course ended up on tape. After the mix I edited it out and replaced that section with a dub from another part of the song. When the client came in to listen he remarked "Gee, I didn't even notice that the singer sang the wrong words in part of "Oh Happy Day"". He noticed the word swap, but not the edit. I explained to him what happened and he just laughed. I actually got pretty good and fast at end of song splicing and song sequencing when I worked for Pickwick as a remastering engineer, but that's no where near as fun or challenging as the real thing.

Back