tape bias and compatibility

Ding Dong

If a tape machine (specifically a TSR-8) is set to use 456 tape, and one were to put a (brand new) tape like 499 or SM-900 on the machine simply for the purpose of diagnosing whether the record head is functioning properly, could this cause any damage? is the bias difference so extreem that it simply wouldn't work at all, or could the higher output tape be useful simply to test the heads?

You would probably think it works great if you recorded that way for the first couple of times, but if you compare it with the same recording on SM911 (which is the same as Quantegy 456) you might find 911 better sounding. No harm to the machine at all.

Ding Dong said:
thats good news. im having trouble finding 456 or SM911 locally, but the SM900 seems to be plentiful.

Yeah, same here. I ordered from tapes.com, I think they've got the cheapest SM911 right now, but then they've notified me yesterday that the prices are going up by 12% starting March 1 (which is today).

I've had a look on the net but to no avail... Is anybody aware of a tape bias (or indeed a tape level) comparison and compatibility table for different makes and formulas of tape?

Ding Dong said:

Everything on the list at USREC is about right except they have 468 miss categorized. 468 is a +6 tape like 456 and 911... it's just different.

RMGI doesn't really have a 406 equivalent. In fact 911 sounds much more like 406 than 456. If you’re looking for a warmer sound they are fuzzier under compression, but 911 just takes more flux before saturating. 456 and 468 are edgier... Rock-n-Roll. :)

EDIT: looking further down the page on that US Recording Media link they have the recommended applications so fucked up I really wonder if there is anyone left in the business that knows what the hell they are doing. :)

Check this PDF from RMGI:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/attachment.php?attachmentid=40366

Back