tape and drum modules

kiira

ok, do ya'll print your sequenced drums to tape before final mixdown? I was mixing down directly to my PC tracks from my MPC-60 and Roland R8M modules but this morning I put them onto two tracks of my Tascam 238 and it seemed like they sounded better. I don't record onto the 238 with high levels and use the dbx usually. I wonder if I should always use four tracks of the 1/2" 38 when (if) I get that working... hit the tape hard and use no NR?

OR... maybe I should get a 1/4" half track machine to mix down onto prior to making CDs? whatcha think?

maybe some nice little machine like this one... about an hour away.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3736040003&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Yup, Here's a recent quote of mine from another thread that addresses this very thing.

Beck said:
...actually a part the digital vs. analog debate -- early digital drum machine performance factored in the affect that tape would have to sweeten and fill in the sound. So the sound quality of an old Linn or Roland digital drum machine is quite different when "captured" on digital. It's literally missing part of its sound.

There are tons of little things like this -- knowledge that is only fully grasped by those of us who lived and learned back in the day.

I don't envy anyone trying to figure out the whole recording thing today. So much of the basics are missing. People are attempting to do calculus without first having mastered basic math.

Trying to evaluate and incorporate vintage equipment is nearly impossible for the uninitiated. But, I guess that's what these forums are for.

And pre-mastering to 2-track reel -- that too has become a popular technique to add a little life to digital tracks.

:cool:

Analog Drums

For rock, pop, and country I always print drums and bass to tape first, then dump the tracks to digital and finish tracking. With drum machines I sometimes compress a little and, believe it or not, I'll ocasionally use an expander or gate on toms (especially if I'm trying to get an "older" sound).

I hit the tape pretty hard, especially with rock. I usually track at 30ips with no noise reduction unless I'm going for that "specific" sound that you can get with 15ips and noise reduction.

In recient years however, I've been using loop-based drum tracks more than machines for my personal production.

cool cool thanks ya'll I guess I'm on the right track and learning stuff and rationalizing why I NEED MORE STUFF. ha ha .

Back