Tannoy SGM10b Manley (Doug Sax)

Drone_21042

I have a chance to buy a pair of these legends from a guy I know in Murfreesboro, TN. They came out of a studio in Nashville.

My intention would be to use these for mixing. Are these relevant (today)? Could I do better for the $$$?

I love Tannoys...I have owned many types and while they have their charm none of them have been what I would consider "flat". I've read the Mastering Labs crossovers and Manley built cabinets go a long way at transforming a typical SRM10 (or SGM10) into a completely different animal...but I've no idea what kind of beast that is.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Drone.

My intention would be to use these for mixing. Are these relevant (today)? Could I do better for the $$$?

They'd be wonderful for mixing, yes they're relevant, & since you didn't say how many dollars you were paying it's hard to judge whether or not you could do better.

But those are some badass monitors, and I don't know any engineer who would kick them out of bed or balk at having to mix with them.

They'd be wonderful for mixing, yes they're relevant, & since you didn't say how many dollars you were paying it's hard to judge whether or not you could do better.

But those are some badass monitors, and I don't know any engineer who would kick them out of bed or balk at having to mix with them.

Thank you. I was hoping someone would confirm that....I know they were highly regarded at one time...just didn't now if they still earned that reputation considering the current advancement of engineering and value (Asian market) . The guy I'm buying them from is an old classmate and he's giving me a great deal. They're $2,300.00 all said and done. I was looking at a pair of Tyler D3M's (used) and a pair of ATC SCM20's (also used). I pulled the trigger on the Tannoys last night so he'll be packing them up today. I'm extremely eager to get them. I wanted a pair long before I got into home recording. The only downside is that I now have less money to buy mics, but I'm learning there are some great values in the microphone world.

Thanks again.
Drone.

I am also considering the same question...choosing between a pair of SRM10B's in perfect condition owned since new by a very well respected engineer who is a friend of mine and wants $3000. Weighing up between these and a pair of Focals or Event Opals. Love the sound of the Tannoys and know they are more flattering than accurate, but they have a very musical sounds and lots of detail plus the amazing stereo image from the horn loaded 'dual concentric' design... weighing up between these more modern alternatives such as Event Opals or Focal SM6 series. I want something that inspires me when tracking my own stuff and is also going to translate well for mixing on. Any thoughts from someone who has mixed extensively on several of these?

Back