Tannoy Reveal

I was at a music store checking out different sets of monitors, and the two that caught my eye were obviously the m-audio bx5's as well as the tannoy reveal passives. After listening to both, I found the m-audios to not even compare to the tannoys in how full they sounded. The price is a little less for the tannoys but of course i'll have to buy and amp. If i have to spend an extra 200.00 on a piece of equipment im not really too worried.

http://www.tannoyna.com/professional/product_Reveal.html

Theresthe link. Id like you guys to tell me what you think of the tannoys if you have heard them. Thanks

tannoy's are good but they don't have the high end response that i like, to me they sound a bit soft and undefined... but i still have to support them as they're made in my hometown... WOOT!!!

I have them and have used them for about four or five year. I honestly can't fault them at the pricepoint. No other nearfields in that range give the same extended bass response that the Reveals do. Even better you could get the Actives which would save you having to buy a poweramp (assuming you don't have one already).

I've used a set of Reveal passives for about 3 or 4 years and have been very satisfied. Naturally, I had to learn how to use them, but once I got over ha hump I find my mixes transfer well to other sytems.

Like anything, trust your ears.

Ive noticed with the Tannoys (i own the Reveal passives myself) is that they have a different character to them that people either love or hate. I think technically they really arnt that accurate of monitors but there are pros to them which i like alot. They have softer highs, which some people dont like at all. They have alot of punch them them as well. The thing i like about that part is it is less fatigueing to my ears. I can mix all day on them and still be pleased with it. I dont know how much different they are at translating because they were the first monitors i had, so of course i had difficult translating on them at first. But when i made the switch to Mackie HR824s i didnt really have a problem making the switch. This to me tells me they do translate well but in a different style. I have come to like them so much i have decided to go for there System 800A models although those have a sound in themselves that people either love or hate. Guess ill see and let people know what i think of them.

Danny

we have reveals in our studio at school, and they sound pretty decent, but they seem to blow the tweeters really easy. We are on our third pair, and as far as I know, everyone is fairly careful and easy on them. the first pair blew a woofer, so they sent it back, then they both blew the tweeters and we just got or new pair. I was actually in the studio when the tweeters were blown and they weren't turned up very loud. they don't seem to have a lot of headroom.

fenix said:
tannoy reveals seem to have a hyped up low end imo.

I set in and helped a friend with a mix session a week or so ago and I was surprized by their bass response. They werent my Mackies But,, they sure as hell didnt cost as much. They sound pretty good for the money though.

Malcolm

Back