Tannoy Reveal 501 A's

I'm looking at monitor options and I keep coming back to these Tannoys. Has anyone used these? I'm on a tight budget and could swing maybe $250 for monitors at this point but for the money these look pretty nice and Tannoy has a great rep. I know I'd be better off waiting till I could swing $500 or so but I have tracks just sitting here and I could pick these up now. any thoughts?

hmm

I know the event 20/20s have a better frequency range where as the tannoys start at around 64hz If you are trying to get some low end bass in there 55hz etc i dont tink u will hear it what did u buy after

Hi all,

Looking for any input from other Tannoy 501a users on an annoying problem I've been having with mine.

I'm using 1/4-to-XLR male cables running out of my audio interface to the monitors and I have a hell of a time keeping a good connection between the XLR plugs and the XLR inputs on the backs of the monitors.
The cables don't fall out completely; what seems to happen is that the weight of the XLR plug (slight though it is) is enough for it to sit slightly tilted down, rather than straight, inside the input jack. The tilt keeps all 3 pins in the plug from making proper contact with the monitor.

I haven't tried to switch out the cables yet, and that would be an easy test, but based on how I've wiggled them to try to get a connection, it really feels like a connection problem rather than faulty cables. If so, I'd think the XLR inputs on the monitors would be principally to blame. I could be crazy but I feel like the input jacks are too shallow to hold an XLR plug properly...?

[By the way, I used to be registered for this board a long time ago, but just re-registered. I didn't see any obvious link to start a new thread. Do I need to be approved or moderated or something before I get that option?]

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi I had same issues as though the jacks at the back were to large causing play or wiggle. I used 1/4 inch at first then to xlr it didn't seem right so had a replacement and they were the same. Eventually sold them

I've had a pair almost 3 years and haven't had any problems with the connectors, well.... not yet anyway.

Bassically, Michael

i have Tannoy's 501a, and didnt have this problem or anything like it.
maybe the input jack is a bit loose? or the cables are too thin or not built well?

take'm back to the store, on either case i think they will be able to help determine the problem.

Back