Tannoy Proto-J's vs Hafler M5s?

BobO

Hi everyone...

I'm about to purchase either the Tannoy Proto-J's or the Hafler M5s. There are some good deals online (the Proto-J's bundled with a Samson amp, and the Haflers bundled with a Hafler amp, each between $350 and $400 (my limit).

Anyone with a first-hand opinion of the two?

Thanks...

P.S. I'll be using the monitors with an Akai DPS16 (which is a great machine, by the way!).

I'm wondering the same thing

I hope some people can have good input on this one, cause those are the two I'm looking at myself. I saw the Tannoy Proto-J's with the Hafler Amp on Musiciansfriend.com for around 380. Hafler m5's with hafler amp same price.

I read in one review that a model of the tannoy's were a little bass heavy. don't know bout that though.

I'm wondering the same thing

I hope some people can have good input on this one, cause those are the two I'm looking at myself. I saw the Tannoy Proto-J's with the Hafler Amp on Musiciansfriend.com for around 380. Hafler m5's with hafler amp same price.

I read in one review that a model of the tannoy's were a little bass heavy. don't know bout that though.

shortyc...

I'm glad you posted. I had been checking out the deals at MusiciansFriend.com. Noticed today that they're now packaging the Tannoy Proto-J's with a Hafler TA1100 amp for $350. When I looked last week, I think they were selling the Tannoys with a Samson amp.

The Hafler M5s are $30 more ($380), with the same amp (TA1100).

I think I'm going to pull the trigger today and go with the Tannoys. I've read enough good things about them on this site. My interest in the Hafler M5s comes from the very positive review in the current "Recording" Magazine (with the M5s on the cover).

Regards...BobO.

These are two of the many I have been considering as well. I think it was Sound On Sound magazine, which usually gives decent reviews, IMHO, that compared the M5's favorably to the Yamaha NS10's. The one complaint that sticks with me about the NS10's is that they cause extreme ear fatigue. The one thing I hear that discourages me about the Proto J's is that I believe they are not shielded, therefore not suitable for small spaced CPU use. Hope this helps.

Pete

I tried the M5's and wound up bringing them back to GC....went with the Proto J's...they had a better/tighter bass response......the M5's were very good, as good as the Proto J's, outside of the low end......after listening to them for hours, i think it would be hard for ME to learn to place the low end on them without a sub.....

I pulled the trigger yesterday afternoon and went with the Proto-Js ($350 with a Hafler TA1100 amp, at MusiciansFriend.com).

But now I'm really worried about the earlier post which mentions that the Proto-Js are not shielded!

I'm going to use them with an Akai DPS16. Am I going to run into problems here? Do you have any problems with computer "noise" on the Proto-Js, Gidge?

Thanks...BobO

Gidge said:
I tried the M5's and wound up bringing them back to GC....went with the Proto J's...they had a better/tighter bass response......the M5's were very good, as good as the Proto J's, outside of the low end......after listening to them for hours, i think it would be hard for ME to learn to place the low end on them without a sub.....

I must agree here with Gidge-mo also!!

Funny thing is I found that both of these monitor sets lacked the bass,(without the subs that complete these two sets) and I bought the Alesis monitor ones.

After using the monitor ones for a while ( these had bass in spades). I found the NS10s I have now and had good results with them. The yamahas weren't near as bass heavy as the monitor ones but you could hear low stuff on them that you could never hear on the haflers and the tanoys.

If I had to pick between those two I would pick the tannoys. I just have to thank god I dont have to settle for them. Good buy on that dps16, I got mine for 900.00 at the mars new.

On the unshielded issue, The danger isnt going to be noise in the speakers but the CRT monitor will have problems with the magnetic field that they will give out. Only at line level you have to worry about noise being injected.

You shouldnt worry about harm to the dps16. You may eq in too much bass into your mixes, but you will learn them eventually.

Wow

Thanks alot for all the responses, this really helps in my decision.

I will be using whatever monitors I get with my new Power IMAC. Do you think a non-sheilded pair would bother?

And, about the bass... hmm, well, in reference monitors it is not desired any how, correct? I was thinking about purchasing a cheap subwoofer just to see how my bass was doing.

Ps. (would I be able to do that with a MOTU 828?..add a sub)

That's a GREAT price for the DPS16, Darrin! Mine cost $1,499. Came with a "free" (ha ha) AKG C1000s microphone. 20GB Hard Drive.

Is yours a Version 3.0 model (with .wav file support, "normalize" function, etc.)? If so, sounds like you got the deal of the century.

I'm very, very happy with the Akai. Looking forward to hearing the new monitors, too!

BobO

Shortyc,

If you put them next to a monitor, yes, there will be a magnetic problem. Have you ever seen a TV or something with a magnet and what it does? I wouldnt be putting them too close to mine, at least.

Pete

Since we're on the topic, in this price range, has anyone tried the Yamaha MSP3's? The 5's and 10's seem to be well liked, but I can't seem to get past the fact that they look like glorified PC speakers. Anyone tried these? They are about $300 a pair.

Pete

UPDATE!!

Mars has the Proto J's listed as near field monitors. Mars has been known to mis inform, but it would be worth a call, I believe.

Pete

Back