taming toms

shadowfax

I'm micing my drums with MXL 603s as overheads, sm57 on snare, d112 on kick and akg c418s on the toms. The problem is that the overheads pick up way too much of the snare and toms in comparison to the cymbals. can anyone suggest placement / eq / whatever to maximize the volume of the cymbals and minimize snare / toms?

try postioning them facing more away from the cymbals, or, postion them lower down (more inline) to the cymbals on the outside pointing towards the drummer.

for eq they are on the upper frequencies where as the snares and toms are on the mid - to lower frequency, so if you cut out a bit of the mid-low midrange and low frequencies you should hear more cymbal and less toms/snare

thats what helps for me.

try postioning them facing more away from the cymbals, or, postion them lower down (more inline) to the cymbals on the outside pointing towards the drummer.

for eq they are on the upper frequencies where as the snares and toms are on the mid - to lower frequency, so if you cut out a bit of the mid-low midrange and low frequencies you should hear more cymbal and less toms/snare

thats what helps for me.

I'd say you're the lucky one. Everyone else usually has the opposite problem. Yours is easy to fix. Just move the mics closer to the cymbals. I'm not sure how Axis's suggestion to face them farther away from the cymbals would help in this case.

well if i had the opposite problem it would be easy since i've got C418s on every tom... and yeah i was a little confused about facing them away from the cymbals myself. i think once i get a pad for them i'll be able to mic the cymbals closer and that will raise the cymbals vs the toms which should solve my problem. but then... if i have the mics on either side of the kit close to the cymbals instead of an XY right above, since they're spaced out, wouldn't that cause phasing problems on the snare? does it matter if the overheads phase on the snare since i'm close micing my snare anyway? so many questions...

OH crap what i don't know what i was saying about pointing them farther away!!!!

forget i said anything i don't know what i was thinking w/ that.

You will want to make sure both mics are equidistant from the center of the snare to prevent phasing between the overheads.

Yeah, there's nothing more vexing than a two-phased snare... :=)

Shadowfax, ignore this post - it's only here to playfully tweak LittleDog - I haven't harrassed him in a while, don't want him to think we don't still love him, do we, hmmmmm?

Back