Talkback on a Firepod?

AndrewClaycomb

Is there a way I can use the S/PDIF in as a talkback channel?

Normally, I would just plug a mic into one of the 8 channels and call it done. Problem is I'm going to expirement with 8 mic drum recording soon, so I won't have the available channels.

Ah

I have the same problem the way I do it now is I have a small Behringer mixer that I send the headphone out of the firepod to one of the line in inputs on the mixer, then put the the mic in the xlr input and then it gets mixed with the headphone out, and run the headphones from the headphone out of the behringer.
Honestly I'll be suprised if anyone understands what i just wrote :p

No, I completely understand what you're doing.

If I end up buying hardware to solve this, Behringer makes a monitor controller with a talk back mic built in for $50. I would just run lines from the firepod's cue outs to the monitor controller, and then to my headphone amp in my tracking room. That way the monitors in the control room are still coming directly off the Firepod. I also would have a little more control over the headphone amp in the other room...

It would be nice if there was an adapter to go S/PDIF.

$5 adapter vs. $50 hardware...

Ya

I've been looking this up and it seems that its not possible without an additional piece of hardware because the xlr out of a mic is analog and the spdif are digital so you would need to convert the signal somewhere in that path.
correct me if I'm wrong though :)

I've got the same issue with my Motu 8pre

All 8 channels are going to being taken up with the drum mics.

The motu 8 pre will be connected to my macbook via firewire.
The headphones from 8pre will be on the drummers head as he listens to the click track.
The monitors will be in the control room with me and my laptop.

WOULD it be possible to use the internal mic on my lap top as the talkback mic?

What I ended up doing is running one of these inline between the firepod and my tracking room's headphone amp. It has a mic built in and is foot switchable. I also added a preamp with S/PDIF, so I have access to 10 channels and I don't have to waste one on talkback.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-MON800-MiniMON-Stereo-Monitor-Matrix-Mixer?sku=182041

386938.jpg

You could get a central station, but thats quite the pretty penny for just talkback, but theres plenty of other awesome features in the unit.

I've got the Behri (somewhere around here). For talkback it works (sure can't beat the price), for critical monitoring... not so much... but it's a fine solution for most hobbiest.

I agree, I wouldn't actually use it to control your monitors but it works really well for talkback. It also gives me another headphone amp in case I'm tracking in my tracking room, iso booth, and in the control room at the same time.

That way I can use the headphone amp on my Firepod for myself. (Because I'm the only one that really matters. :D)

Back