talk to me about these tones

I like the lower midrange tone of the second sample more (progap). The first sample had too much bass, which would be reasonable if not playing in a band with a bass player. Otherwise, you'd be stepping too much into the bass players tonal space.

Dave_M said:
I like the lower midrange tone of the second sample more (progap). The first sample had too much bass, which would be reasonable if not playing in a band with a bass player. Otherwise, you'd be stepping too much into the bass players tonal space.

thanks for the listen. I have not played with a bass player so I still tend to add a bit of bass. I like both preamps for raunchy tones. Neither can do clean well at all.

anybody else?

CyanJaguar said:
thanks. Is it an acceptable metal sound, or do I need to make it much brighter?

Its more of a grunge tone to my ears. What kind of axe were you playing? If that's a Strat on the bridge pickup then yeah, it needs to be brighter. Or was it a bridge humbucker? Its difficult to choose adjectives to describe tonal variation but, a neck humbucker should have have a creamy sound, even on the upper registers of the two high strings at or above the 12th fret. A bridge humbucker should have more bite. Single coils should sound chimey. Listen to tones of some great slingers that have your type of axe. When I play a Strat, I'm listening for the Hendrix distorted tones. When I play a Les Paul, I'm listening for a Randy Rhoads sort of a tone. Tone is very subjective. What's desirable in the woodshed while practicing won't be the same when you jam with a drummer and bassist. I'd play with the dials and make some more sample recordings. Your ear is the best judge of the sound you're achieving and when it might be useful in some application.

tone is subjective, so you should just make it sound the way you like it.

I like my tone at 8 bass 5 mid 7 treble

god it's such a subjective topic.

in my opinion those distortions suck, they're not even metal.

thanks for the replies guys. Dave, It was a cheapo ibanez strat style with the stock humbuckers on the bridge position. My les paul sounds better but I dont play it at home so I guess its time to upgrade my practice guitar.

Back