Talk me out of getting a Shure SM7B

Hey guys... working on vocals and am finding that the condenser mics that I'm using (CAD gxl3000, MXL V67g), end up being a bit too "soft" for the more aggressive songs.

This lead me to try out my dynamics, (OM-5, ATM63HE, and i5) which I was happier with. But........

I can't help but feeling that a RE-20 or SM7b would blow away my currently selection. However - am I right in countering that thought with the (what seems like a) sensible answer that I won't notice much of a difference due to the fact that all I have for preamps are a Presonus TubePre, and ART Tube MP going into a Presonus FP10?

If you buy an SM7B your dick will shrivel up and fall off... :eek:

Everybody knows this... don't find out the hard way... ;)

A good pre would likely give you more bang for the buck. A necessity with dynamics that need a lot of clean gain. Baring a very loud sound with extreme proximity. The RE-20 would likely fair better on a lesser chain (like yours). Or RE-27 if you want some extra high end presence. The SM7b is just one of those looks like you're eating the mic mics.

Talk you out of it hmmm?

Ok. They seriously aren't as amazing as most people make them seem. They add a little more fullness to the voice when compared with, say, a sm58 or something, but that's about it.

I've never used an EV RE20 before, but if I were you, I'd take moresound's advice. It's always good.

...your preamps will definately be too anemic to truly drive the SM7B where it needs to go...a great alternative would be the KEL HM-7U:
Kel Audio -- HM-2D

...thick and beefy like a dynamic mic, with the air and detail of a condenser mic, and more importantly, less power-hungry...oh yeah, cheaper too!...great mic that delivers a tonality rarely found in inexpensive condenser mics...your best bet without upgrading your preamps...

And if you have the money I would go with the Sennheiser MD441-U Supercardioid ... but they are close to twice as much as the EV RE20.

You know all of these microphones will work but not all of the time. Maybe what you need to do is to purchase one of each for different flavor/color when needed. ;)

So get them all!! One at a time to build up your choice bag of tricks.
In this order ................

EV RE20
EV RE27
Sennheiser MD441-U or the MD 421
Shure SM7b

Have you tried or even considered ribbon microphones?

Hey guys... working on vocals and am finding that the condenser mics that I'm using (CAD gxl3000, MXL V67g), end up being a bit too "soft" for the more aggressive songs.

This lead me to try out my dynamics, (OM-5, ATM63HE, and i5) which I was happier with. ..
'Soft.. Hmm. As in tone? ..and an interesting way of putting it.
Let's asplore this a little.
The dynamics there all have a good bit of high mid rise (likely more and lower), but the other difference is you might be working them a lot closer. There would be a change (if you are) that's as much in the way it's picking up your voice as it is freq response.
Can't say about the SM7 but the RE20 is relative neutral (no aggressive lift, a little fairly high up top) and to me way closer to the 'natural' sound of the farther pickup (non close image style) than any of those dynamics. I suspect the SM7 may be similar (compared to 'OM5/i5 and such, and like the RE, fairly flatter, well padded screen, cap set back farther..).. but unlike the RE with some proximity effect to work with.
Go from there.. :D

OK, how about this, NO DON'T do it. You don't have the money to buy a good mic. Shure mics are the worst ever. They are the Edsel of microphones and contain a composite known as corbomite. This is the same compound that Captain Kirk threatened to use back in 67 or 68 with a seemingly unforgiving race of aliens. It has been banned by Starfleet Command due to it's destructive nature. If that doesn't change your mind then you should buy a good mic pre first and see how that works for you.

...your preamps will definately be too anemic to truly drive the SM7B where it needs to go...a great alternative would be the KEL HM-7U:
Kel Audio -- HM-2D

...thick and beefy like a dynamic mic, with the air and detail of a condenser mic, and more importantly, less power-hungry...oh yeah, cheaper too!...great mic that delivers a tonality rarely found in inexpensive condenser mics...your best bet without upgrading your preamps...
Ooo. thick and beefy too.
:)
Not in the market, but I would be curious to hear that one and and a ADK S7 (maybe their 'b ver?) next to each other.

..Now, back to the programme

OK, how about this, NO DON'T do it. You don't have the money to buy a good mic. Shure mics are the worst ever. They are the Edsel of microphones and contain a composite known as corbomite. This is the same compound that Captain Kirk threatened to use back in 67 or 68 with a seemingly unforgiving race of aliens. It has been banned by Starfleet Command due to it's destructive nature. If that doesn't change your mind then you should buy a good mic pre first and see how that works for you.

You can still get it on the black market from the Romulens! ;)

Thank you everybody! Great information and recommendations... exactly what I needed. That imaginary RE-20/SM7B money is going toward a preamp upgrade now. From what I've researched, it looks like the best choices in my sub $500 range are the FMR RNP, Grace 101, or Golden Age Pre 73. I'm pretty sure the GAP 73 is going to be the winner because of cost. Looks like the RNP is going for $475, Grace $565, an GAP for $300. CL 7602 and Speck 5.0 review well, but are out of my range.

moresound: I haven't considered ribbon mics yet... sounds like something to look into this week!

Ribbons need an even more special pre. And I'll get crapped on for this sentiment, but anything FMR just doesn't float my boat. Sorry, but I think you're paying for a glorified guitar pedal. All that's missing is the 9-volt battery and a true bypass footswitch. No, I want an adult-sized rack unit, with its own power supply.
Now I'll talk you out of an expensive mic; the MXL should be fine. You can thank me later. ;)
You don't need any $$$ piece of gear, unless you have a real professional studio, and you are charging other people $$$ to record, or you make money selling your recordings. If you, like me and maybe 90% of everyone else here, are just recording yourself in an untreated bedroom, singing mediocre songs (but having a freakin' blast doing it), what's a $1,000,000 mic going to do for you? My songs will still be mediocre, my singing will still be mediocre, so I spent the money for what? I always say just use 'good', and be happy you get to live in an age where this is all possible. There is such a glut of good, cheap home recording gear that there is no reason not to get those ideas on tape (or hard drive). The money I saved can be spent on vocal lessons, not that they'll help.

ribbons need an even more special pre. And i'll get crapped on for this sentiment, but anything fmr just doesn't float my boat. Sorry, but i think you're paying for a glorified guitar pedal. All that's missing is the 9-volt battery and a true bypass footswitch. No, i want an adult-sized rack unit, with its own power supply.
Now i'll talk you out of an expensive mic; the mxl should be fine. You can thank me later. ;)
you don't need any $$$ piece of gear, unless you have a real professional studio, and you are charging other people $$$ to record, or you make money selling your recordings. If you, like me and maybe 90% of everyone else here, are just recording yourself in an untreated bedroom, singing mediocre songs (but having a freakin' blast doing it), what's a $1,000,000 mic going to do for you? My songs will still be mediocre, my singing will still be mediocre, so i spent the money for what? I always say just use 'good', and be happy you get to live in an age where this is all possible. There is such a glut of good, cheap home recording gear that there is no reason not to get those ideas on tape (or hard drive). The money i saved can be spent on vocal lessons, not that they'll help.

...BUZZ KILLER!

;)

Ok then ya' prolly' don't need this either then :D

http://www.chameleonlabs.com/product7.htm

Their big wave of love might have come and gone ("..There's the new kids in town... now"
But really.. :)

Last edited:
...BUZZ KILLER!

;)

Ok then ya' prolly' don't need this either then :D

Chameleon Labs 7602 MKII Microphone Preamplifier & Equalizer

Their big wave of love might have come and gone ("..There's the new kids in town... now"
But really.. :)

I like Chamelon Labs, and in this day and age, $800 isn't all that much. Although I'm using an ART that was half the price. The people I see with Chameleon Labs, and when I look at them in the store, I do wish I could try one and see what an extra $400 gets me. But I wouldn't say avoid an $800 pre. I'd say try a $400 ART and maybe the $400 you save could go to buying a Pro VLA. You know what I mean? You either get one pre or a pre and a compressor. It was simple for this amateur.
No, I really mean I avoid thinking that if I walk to work, and only eat two or three times a week, I can soon have a preamp like this; PreSonus ADL 600 | Sweetwater.com, and think my songs are better. Maybe they sound better, but they still suck. And I'm still recording in my bedroom, or electric guitar in my tiled bathroom for that natural reverb sound. :rolleyes:

Back