Tal-Vocoder in Reaper: I am completely at a lost!

YanKleber

Retired
I downloaded and installed the free Tal-Vocoder VST but got no luck with it in Reaper. I thought that it was as easy as to hang the vocoder as an FX in my voice track and I was done. However it seems that it is more complicated than I supposed. I watched a couple tutorials in Youtube that didn't help too much though.

The only thing I got is that I need to use two tracks, one for my voice and other for something called carrier (that I couldn't understand what it is) and then make some mambo-jambo with sends/receives. I am completely at a lost.

Oh and someone told in one of videos that I need a MIDI keyboard to make it work (that I don't have). Am I still eligible to use a vocoder?

I would appreciate any starting point! Thanks!

The VST vocoders I use work without a midi keyboard. You wouldn't want to. Controlling and playing the vocal line is what vocoding is about. How you gonna control it without a deck of keys? Just make robot voices, I guess.

carrier is the keyboard sound.

I have used Morphoder and O Vox. Mophoder is a great classic vocoder. That works by placing the VST in the FX window of the vocal track..That is it. They all seem to work similar.

Screenshot 2022-02-17 171557.jpg

You made 2 tracks for the TAL coder? One for the voice and in the midi track you could copy some self placed blocks. It didn't work?

Last edited:
Which FX window had the TAL VST? The window to the right is used for LIVE. The Left FX window is for the vocal already recorded.
Screenshot 2022-02-17 173138.jpg
Prolly wont work without some carrier info to guide. Drag some midi blocks underneath it in group, to test.

Last edited:
The carrier signal is what you'll actually hear out of the vocoder, so you'd use something like a synth or a guitar or something as the carrier. The modulator signal is what will give the vocal-like formants to the vocoder, so you'd most likely use your voice.

Maybe start with ReaVocode instead of TAL, because it'll make first-time setup a bit easier. Move on to others once you've got the concepts under control and can fiddle around a bit more effectively. Morphoder is OK, but not free. And it can't accept an external carrier, only its built-in carrier signals (or if it can, it's doing it in a non-standard way that I could never figure out). TAL and ReaVocode can both accept external carrier signals from whatever source you like, and they're free.

The main concept to understand is that you're sending from one track to another in order to feed the vocoder both the carrier and modulator signals that it needs in order to work. It's the same concept as sending a vocal track to a dedicated reverb track, for the most part. The complication is that you need to add additional channels to the vocoder track so it can receive the carrier signal.

In Reaper, you'll need to put the vocoder FX on a track and change the number of inputs on that track to 4 instead of the default 2. Click the routing button on the track and from the Track Channels drop-down, select 4.

This will be your modulator channel, so this is the track that you'd arm and record your voice through. Set the input accordingly.

Now create a 2nd track. This will be your carrier signal, so put some sort of synth lead or pad on this one for now. Click the routing button on this track and add a send to the other track that has your vocoder on it. Once the send is created, a new box will appear. At the lower left corner of that box, it says "Audio: 1/2 -> 1/2". That means that this track is sending its output channels 1&2 to the other track's input channels 1&2. Change it to say "Audio: 1/2 -> 3/4" because input 3/4 is where ReaVocode and TAL will expect the carrier signal to be on the vocoder track. And while you're here, uncheck the "Master send" checkbox in the upper left corner. You don't want to hear the carrier unless the modulator is actually doing something.

Now you can arm both tracks for recording (or just the vocoder track, if you've mouse-clicked your way through creating something in piano roll). If your carrier signal is holding down a sustained note or chord, you'll only hear it when you speak into the mic. And it'll be modulated by the sound of your voice.

The carrier signal is what you'll actually hear out of the vocoder, so you'd use something like a synth or a guitar or something as the carrier. The modulator signal is what will give the vocal-like formants to the vocoder, so you'd most likely use your voice.

Maybe start with ReaVocode instead of TAL, because it'll make first-time setup a bit easier. Move on to others once you've got the concepts under control and can fiddle around a bit more effectively. Morphoder is OK, but not free. And it can't accept an external carrier, only its built-in carrier signals (or if it can, it's doing it in a non-standard way that I could never figure out). TAL and ReaVocode can both accept external carrier signals from whatever source you like, and they're free.

The main concept to understand is that you're sending from one track to another in order to feed the vocoder both the carrier and modulator signals that it needs in order to work. It's the same concept as sending a vocal track to a dedicated reverb track, for the most part. The complication is that you need to add additional channels to the vocoder track so it can receive the carrier signal.

In Reaper, you'll need to put the vocoder FX on a track and change the number of inputs on that track to 4 instead of the default 2. Click the routing button on the track and from the Track Channels drop-down, select 4.

This will be your modulator channel, so this is the track that you'd arm and record your voice through. Set the input accordingly.

Now create a 2nd track. This will be your carrier signal, so put some sort of synth lead or pad on this one for now. Click the routing button on this track and add a send to the other track that has your vocoder on it. Once the send is created, a new box will appear. At the lower left corner of that box, it says "Audio: 1/2 -> 1/2". That means that this track is sending its output channels 1&2 to the other track's input channels 1&2. Change it to say "Audio: 1/2 -> 3/4" because input 3/4 is where ReaVocode and TAL will expect the carrier signal to be on the vocoder track. And while you're here, uncheck the "Master send" checkbox in the upper left corner. You don't want to hear the carrier unless the modulator is actually doing something.

Now you can arm both tracks for recording (or just the vocoder track, if you've mouse-clicked your way through creating something in piano roll). If your carrier signal is holding down a sustained note or chord, you'll only hear it when you speak into the mic. And it'll be modulated by the sound of your voice.
Your tutorial (I couldn't call it other way) worked nothing less than PERFECTLY!

So as far as I could hear from the result the vocoder will "sing" following the notes of the carrier, so theoretically I could just have recorded a simple speech and yet it would modulate in the melodic line of the carrier track. This is so cool!

I will write down your detailed explanation and will keep it forever!

Thanks a LOT!!!!

🥰

The VST vocoders I use work without a midi keyboard. You wouldn't want to. Controlling and playing the vocal line is what vocoding is about. How you gonna control it without a deck of keys? Just make robot voices, I guess.

carrier is the keyboard sound.

I have used Morphoder and O Vox. Mophoder is a great classic vocoder. That works by placing the VST in the FX window of the vocal track..That is it. They all seem to work similar.

View attachment 114988

You made 2 tracks for the TAL coder? One for the voice and in the midi track you could copy some self placed blocks. It didn't work?
Thanks for the inputs!!!! This time Tadpui hitted right between the eyes though! 😁

Last edited:
Your tutorial (I couldn't call it other way) worked nothing less than PERFECTLY!

So as far as I could hear from the result the vocoder will "sing" following the notes of the carrier, so theoretically I could just have recorded a simple speech and yet it would modulate in the melodic line of the carrier track. This is so cool!

I will write down your detailed explanation and will keep it forever!

Thanks a LOT!!!!

🥰
That's great to hear! Glad you're up and running and (probably) making all sorts of weird sounds by this point :D

Back